Gulls arrest their slump at Metropolitan Police

By Brian Jeeves in Football

Non-league round-up by Brian Jeeves

RYMAN League Premier Division strugglers, Canvey Island, produced the performance of the weekend, recording a 4-0 victory over Metropolitan Police at Imber Court.

Steve Sheehan, Harrison Chatting, George Sykes and Ryan Blackman were the Gulls goalscorers. They remain second from bottom but are now only two points adrift of the safety zone.

Billy Bricknell bagged a first-half brace as Billericay Town saw off Harrow Borough by the odd goals in three in front of a bumper 429 New Lodge crowd, but there were disappointing defeats for Harlow Town, who went down 2-0 against Havant & Waterlooville at the Harlow Arena, and Grays Athletic, who were thumped 4-1 at Tonbridge Angels.

AFC Hornchurch went nap in Ryman League Division One North. Leon McKenzie grabbed a hat-trick while Ross Wall and Abs Thompson were also amongst the goals in a 5-2 victory over Great Wakering Rovers at Burroughs Park. Jake Gordon and Jonathan Nzengo scored for the struggling hosts, who despite the defeat produced an improved display against their promotion-chasing opponents. Nevertheless, as a result, Rovers slip to the bottom of the table.

League leaders, Maldon & Tiptree, returned to form with a 4-0 win over Thurrock. Rhys Henry,

Kyle Hammond, Femi Akinwande and Liam Nash on target for the Jammers. And a Chris Taylor double gave Romford a 2-1 home win over Witham Town. Lewis Payne with Witham’s consolation.

Gregory Moorse, Macauley Joynes, Darelle Russell and Ajani Carrington scored Waltham Abbey’s goals in a 4-0 win at Wroxham, while Jack Cawley and Adam Bolle ensured Heybridge Swifts a 2-0 victory at Soham Town Rangers. Russell Malton scored the only goal of the game as Brightlingsea Regent edged to three points at Thamesmead Town.

Aveley and Bowers & Pitsea played out an entertaining 1-1 draw at Mill Field. Ross Adams gave Bowers the lead, but Mason Bloomfield quickly levelled for the home side.

Brentwood Town slipped to a 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Ware, and there was a 5-3 setback for Haringey Borough at home against Cheshunt. Chris Benjamin (2) and Adrian Markus with the Borough goals. Ryan Melaugh scored for Tilbury after half an hour, but the Dockers slipped to a 2-1 defeat to Norwich United at Chadfields

Dagenham & Redbridge kept up the pressure on National League leaders, Lincoln City, with a resounding 4-1 success over Southport at Haig Avenue.

Jame Allen gave the Sandgrounders the lead from the penalty spot midway through the first half. However, the Daggers hit back through Jordan Maguire-Drew, Robbie Cundy (own-goal), Fejiri Okenabirhie and Corey Whitely (penalty). Cundy’s afternoon worsened when he was sent-off towards the end. Daggers remain second as a result, three points behind the Imps.

Meanwhile, Braintree Town recovered from their midweek Buildbase FA Trophy humiliation at Dulwich Hamlet, by recording a single goal victory over North Ferriby United at Cressing Road. Reece Hall-Johnson coming up with the only goal of the game fourteen minutes from time.

Elliott Buchanan fired Chelmsford City into an early lead in their huge National League South encounter with St Albans City at the Melbourne Stadium. But the Clarets were denied all three points when Louie Theophanous earned the visitors a share of the spoils with a goal five minutes from time.

Meanwhile, Concord Rangers did their hope of avoiding relegation no harm at all with a 3-11 win over Eastbourne Borough at the Aspect Arena. Lyle Della-Verde, Tony Stokes and Steve King all found the net fro the Beach Boys. Elliott Romain responded for the visitors. But it proved to be a disappointing afternoon for East Thurrock United who crashed to a 2-0 defeat at Welling United. Adam Coombes and Dan Walker both on target for the hosts.

In the Essex Senior League, Barking returned to the top of the table with an exciting 5-3 win over Takeley at Mayesbrook Park. FA Romania were also amongst the goals, thrashing Hullbridge Sport by five goals to one.

Basildon United were 3-1 winners over Ilford at Gardiners Close, while Wadham Lodge won 3-0 at London Bari. Sporting Bengal United hit four without reply as Enfield 1893 were sunk, and there was a 3-0 win for Waltham Forest over bottom of the table Haringey & Waltham.

Meanwhile, Southend Manor crashed out of the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy, going down 3-1 to Redbridge at the Southchurch Park Arena.

Selected action from the ProKit UK Essex Olympian League saw Springfield hammer Bishop’s Stortford Swifts 8-0 in their Premier Division encounter. Frenford Senior won their derby at Canning Town by two goals to nil.

In Division One, Snaresbrook were 6-2 winners at London APSA, while there were 4-0 wins for Catholic United, at Hutton, and Great Baddow, at Galleywood.

Game of the day in Division Four saw Runwell Sports Reserves win an incredible encounter at Canning Town Reserves by eight goals to four.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C