- SPECIAL REPORT – Part 1: Southend ‘sex ring’ victim says ‘heads should roll’ after paedophile ‘informant’ was set free to molest more children - 23/12/2019
- SPECIAL REPORT – Part 2: ‘Shoebury Sex Ring’ victim breaks 30-year silence to detail horrific web of abuse - 23/12/2019
- Rochford woman wins public vote for Essex Sports Personality of the Year - 11/12/2019
SOUTHEND Council will hold a series of consultation events over a planned £500million regeneration of the Queensway estate.
A developer said the project would ‘transform’ one of the ‘most deprived’ areas in Southend.
Labour council leader Ian Gilbert claimed it would have ‘significant social and economic benefits’.
A public consultation has begun over the proposal and will run until November 18.
Four events are planned in the week beginning this Wednesday, October 23, where residents will be able to view an exhibition of the detailed plans and give feedback to staff.
The council said the feedback would be used to change and improve the design. A masterplan will then be created, and the plans will be submitted for approval in 2020.
In February, it was announced that Swan Housing had been chosen as the council’s partner to deliver the 1,600-home development. The council and the developer have now set up a limited liability partnership (LLP) called Porters Place Southend-on-Sea.
Geoff Peace, chair of the LLP board, said the regeneration would include, “the creation of new parks and gardens, new public squares and an improved Queensway, improving the estate’s connectivity to central Southend.”
John Synnuck, chief executive of Swan Housing, said he was ‘delighted’ to be working on the project.
He said: “As part of Porters Place Southend-on-Sea LLP, we want to work with local people to transform Queensway from an isolated and ageing estate into a thriving community right in the centre of Southend-on-Sea.
“I therefore want to urge local people to engage with this first consultation period to help us draw up the proposals for the site, ready for a further consultation in the New Year and then the submission of a planning application.”
The four consultation
events will take place as follows:
Wednesday, October 23 – 3pm to 8pm – All Saints Church Hall
Saturday, October 26 – 10am to 2pm – The Forum
Monday, October 28 – 8am to 1pm – Twenty One Western Parade
Wednesday, October 30 – Midday to 5pm – Cliffs Pavilion
A continuous exhibition of the plans will be available to view at the council’s offices in Victoria Avenue, but will not be staffed.
A consultation website – www.betterqueensway.co.uk – is due to go live on Tuesday October 22.