Addicks are back in the race as Pompey are pummelled

Brian Jeeves
Latest posts by Brian Jeeves (see all)

Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth – The Valley – Sky Bet League One – Report

Yellow Sports London Soccer Shorts man, Dave Bishop, headed to The Valley, running the rule over a Charlton Athletic side unbeaten at home and looking to make ground on the Sky Bet League One play-off places.

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Portsmouth

By Dave Bishop

Charlton Athletic dominated from start to finish as they saw off a lacklustre Portsmouth team 3-0 in front of the Sky TV cameras at The Valley – a win that now leaves them only two points off the play-
off places.

Charlton manager Ben Garner made one change from the side who defeated Exeter City 4-2 on Tuesday with Corey Blackett-Taylor replacing the injured Miles Leaburn in the starting line-up.

Portsmouth were unchanged, as Danny Cowley named the same team that drew 1-1 with Fleetwood Town at Fratton Park last week.

Pompey started well enough and Colby Bishop was unfortunate not to put them in front when his fierce header from Joe Morrell’s cross forced an acrobatic fingertip save from Charlton keeper Joe Wollacott in the ninth minute.

Charlton’s high-intensity football and smart passing moves soon saw them start to overrun Pompey and therefore it was no surprise to see them take the lead when following a short corner, Scott
Fraser’s cross was powerfully nodded home by centre-back Ryan Inniss in the seventeenth minute.

Dane Scarlett, on loan to Pompey from Spurs, had what looked like a very good shout for a penalty turned down by referee John Busby after he was manhandled in the area by Eoghan O’Connell shortly after Charlton’s opener and the visitors will certainly consider themselves most disappointed that the decision did not go their way.

Just after the half-hour mark, Fraser intercepted Josh Koroma’s misplaced pass and played the ball through to Charlie Kirk, whose inch-perfect pass set up Blackett-Taylor to run on and slot home Charlton’s second goal of the evening.

Marlon Pack’s free-kick went close for Portsmouth just before the break and just minutes later Jesurun Rak-Sakyi’s strike was turned round the post by Josh Griffiths.

In an attempt to force themselves back into the game, Pompey boss made two changes at the beginning of the second half with Michael Jacobs and Zac Swanson replacing Koroma and Michael
Morrison but it was to no avail as Charlton continued to dictate proceedings and the outstanding Blackett-Taylor was unfortunate not to score again when Griffiths denied him with a superb
fingertip save within minutes of the restart.

Marlon Pack was sent off in the sixty-sixth minute following a second yellow card for a foul on Fraser. Pompey’s night went from bad to worse when O’Connell headed home the resultant free kick to make it 3-0.

Charlton almost scored again near the end, but Griffiths was again on hand, this time to deny substitute Albie Morgan.

A comprehensive and stylish win for Charlton from which they will take great heart but an eminently forgettable and disastrous evening for Pompey and one they will certainly need to move on from
very quickly.

Charlton Athletic: Wollacott, Egbo, Inniss, O’Connell, Sessegnon (Clare 77’) Rak-Sakyi (Payne 70’) Dobson, Fraser (McGrandles 79’) Kirk, Stockley (Capt.) (Aneke 77’) Blackett-Taylor (Morgan 70’) Subs not used: MacGilvray, Campbell

Portsmouth: Griffiths, Ogilvie, Morrison (Swanson 46’) Raggett, Robertson (Capt.) Dale (Mingi 68’) Pack, Morrell, Koroma (Jacobs 46’, Curtis 63’) Bishop, Scarlett (Hackett-Fairchild 68’) Subs not used: Oluwayemi, Pigott

Referee: John Busby
Assistants: Mark Russell and Andrew Aylott
Fourth Official: Sam Purkiss

Attendance: 13,456 (2,374 from Portsmouth)

Brian Jeeves