Aveley make FA Trophy progress at Urchins expense

Non-League Round-Up

Buildbase FA Trophy Second Round

AVELEY progressed through to the third round of the Buildbase FA Trophy with a 2-1 triumph over local rivals, Hornchurch, at Bridge Avenue.

Shad Ngandu handed the Millers an early lead from the penalty spot in front of a sizable 589 derby crowd, but Chris Dickson also netted from the spot to bring the Urcjhins level on the cusp of half-time.

But Aveley were not to be denied. Harry Gibbs scored what proved to be the winner eight minutes after the restart. Hornchurch’s misery was compounded by the sending off of Mickey Parcell.

Chelmsford City are safely in the hat after dispatching Salisbury by four unanswered goals at the Melbourne Stadium. Shaun Jeffers scored twice for the Clarets, while Jonny Giles and Chris Whelpdale completed the rout.

Concord Rangers and Bath City will try again after a 1-1 draw at the Aspect Arena. Aron Pollock nodded the Beach Boys ahead thirteen minutes from time – Tom Smith swiftly responding for the West Countrymen.

Dagenham & Redbridge saw their Trophy aspirations brought to a conclusion as hosts, Notts County, saw off the east Londoners by two goals to one at Meadow Lane. Mitch Brundle netted for the Daggers – Kristian Dennis and an incredible Michael Doyle strike from near the halfway line carrying the Magpies through.

Vanarama National League South

Billericay Town played out an entertaining 2-2 draw with play-off hopefuls, Slough Town, ay New Lodge. 

The Blues twice had to come from behind. Odysseus Alfa and a stoppage-time strike from skipper, Ronnie Henry, ensuring Jamie O’Hara’s men a share of the spoils.

Meanwhile, it’s ten without a win for struggling Braintree Town. The Iron slipped to a single-goal defeat at the hands of Tonbridge Angels at Cressing Road – Goalkeeper, Billy Johnson, deflecting a James Foulkes centre into his own-goal for the games decisive moment.

BetVictor Isthmian League Premier Division

Frankie Merrifield scored thirteen minutes from time to earn East Thurrock United a 1-0 win at Margate. The Rock are eighth in the table, three points adrift of the play-off positions.

Jake Turner netted from the spot to hand Brightlingsea Regent the lead at Enfield Town. However, the North Essex side required a late Romario Dunne strike to earn a point after Sam Youngs and Lyle Della-Verde had turned the game on its head in Enfield favour.

Bradley Warner’s spot-kick gave Bowers & Pitsea the lead against Cray Wanderers ay the Len Salmon Stadium. But it was the Kent side who claimed the points thanks to second-half goals from Joseph Taylor and Rhys Murrell-Williamson. Romoluwa Akinola netted a last-minute equaliser as Haringey Borough stated a 1-1 draw ay Folkestone Invicta. Elsewhere, Bishop’s Stortford slipped to a 1-0 defeat at Potters Bar Town.

BetVictor Isthmian League Premier Division

Maldon & Tiptree march on at the top after a second-half goal from Lance Akins clinched a 1-0 win from a hard-fought encounter with play-off hopefuls, Great Wakering Rovers, at Burroughs Park.

Evans Kouassi netted three minutes after the break as second-placed Heybridge Swifts triumphed by the same margin over Bury Town. Meanwhile, Tilbury moved into the top-five as goals from Ola Ogunwamide and David Knight ensured a 2-0 success at AFC Sudbury.

A goal just after the hour from Joseph Wright gave Hullbridge Sport all three points at Soham Town Rangers, while an Oliver Emsden effort gave Witham Town a 1-0 win of their own over Grays Athletic.

Basildon United and Coggeshall Town played out a goalless draw, and there was a share of the spoils for Brentwood Town against Histon – Temi Babalola netting from the spot for the home side.

Glenn Tamplin was frustrated with his Romford outfit after they went down by a goal to nil at Cambridge City – The Boro remain bottom of the table, eight points from safety.

Canvey Island was also on the wrong end of the result – Rob Lacey’s goal proving to be insufficient as visitors, Dereham Town, won by the odd goal in three at Park Lane.

Essex Senior League

Gavin Cockman’s hat-trick helped league leaders, Saffron Walden Town to a 4-0 victory over Woodford Town at Catons Lane. Tyger Smalls was also on target – Saffron Walden hold a three-point advantage over Walthamstow, who had Gebrai Samrai and Lewis Francis to thanks for finding the net in a 2-0 win at Hoddesdon Town.

George Smith bagged a brace in Hashtag United’s 4-2 success over Sawbridgeworth Town. Sporting Bengal United were 2-1 victors over Enfield, while Stansted only needed a single goal to take the points at St Margaretsbury.

Improving Southend Manor played out a punchy 2-2 draw with Hadley at Southchurch Park, and it was the same outcome at Oakside on Friday evening, where Redbridge shared the spoils with Ilford.

ProKit UK Essex Olympian League

Sungate extended their lead at the top of the Premier Division with a 2-0 win at Kelvedon Hatch. The victory proved decisive as second-placed Catholic United lost ground, going down 4-2 at Canning Town.

Buckhurst Hill triumphed by the odd goal in three at Bishop’s Stortford Swifts, while two late goals earned Hutton a win by the same margin at Old Southendian.

Springfield were the big winners of the day, hammering Basildon Town by seven goals to one.

In Division One, Shoebury Town won an entertaining encounter at Toby FC by four goals to two. Rayleigh Town Reserves were 2-1 winners at Runwell Sports, while Ramsden Scotia edged out Herongate Athletic 3-2.

High-flying Beacon Hill Rovers were in sparkling Division Two form, thrashing Rochford Town by five goals to one at Wickham Bishops Sports Ground. Old Southendioan Reserves are also in the hunt for promotion following a 2-0 win at AS Rawreth.

May & Baker Eastbrook Community Reserves hit six without reply past Ryan FC, while Laindon Orient edged out Wakering Sports by the odd goal in three at Cupids. Elsewhere, a single strike was enough to earn Harold Wood Athletic Reserves the points against Epping Town.

In Division Three, ACD United proved to be too strong for Lakeside’s second string, the eventual outcome, 4-0. Hutton Reserves edged out their Buckhurst Hill counterparts by three goals to two. Meanwhile, Basildon Town reserves and Collier Row recorded 1-0 victories over the second teams of White Ensign and Toby respectively.

Wakebury also claimed a notable victory as Corinthians Reserves were beaten 3-1 at Shoebury Park.

Catholic United Reserves annihilated Ongar Town 6-1 in Division Four, while there was a 4-0 triumph for Roydon over Leytonstone United. 

Laindon Orient Reserves won 4-2 against their Shenfield AFC counterparts, while in Division Five, Old Barkabbeyans beat Roydon Reserves 5-1 as the goals continued to flow.

Wakering Sports Development claimed the points with a single-goal win over Runwell sports, while Collier Row seconds beat Leigh Ramblers Reserves by two goals to one.

Essex Premier Cup

Plenty of Essex Premier Cup action, with Corinthians progressing at the expense of Leigh Ramblers – the home side winning 3-1 at the Stambridge Memorial Ground.

Grays Athletic Reserves went through with a 1-0 win over Shenfield AFC, while Ongar Town edged out Lakeside by two goals to nil.

Leigh Town also advanced after a 2-0 success over Harold Wood Athletic. Chingford Athletic joined them in at the next stage with a 2-1 win at Rayleigh Town.






Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]