Blues left frustrated at ten-man Halifax snatch a point

FC Halifax Town v Southend United – Vanarama National League – The MBi Shay Stadium – Report

FC Halifax Town 1-1 Southend United

Crisis club Southend United moved off the bottom of the Vanarama National League but were ultimately left frustrated as hosts FC Halifax Town hit back to snatch a share of the spoils in a well-contested encounter at the Mbi Shay Stadium.

Despite earning a hard-earned point on the road against a side among the early-season play-off contenders, Southend will wonder how three points escaped them following an otherwise solid performance.

After a goalless opening period, the Blues forged ahead when Wes Fonguck found the bottom corner of the net six minutes after the restart after Harry Taylor and Jack Bridge had combined to fashion an opening.

The home side’s task appeared to be even harder when Luke Summerfield was bizarrely shown a straight red card after appearing to accidentally collide with referee, Paul Marsden.

No doubt fired up by a huge sense of injustice, Halifax staged a recovery and levelled the score with little over a quarter of an hour remaining. Jamie Stott found Adam Senior who found the net from close range.

Harry Cardwell went close to restoring the Blues lead. However, the visitors were unable to find a way through.

The result edged Southend off the foot of the table ahead of the afternoon matches.

Head Coach, Kevin Maher, said: “In terms of not getting the three points, it’s frustrating. It wasn’t in terms of the performance, I thought we’ve come to a tough place and taken control of the game.

“We had one or two chances in the first half with nothing coming against us. Going 1-0 up with them down to 10 men, you want to get the second goal to put it to bed because you always run the risk.

“I didn’t see the red card, but we’re disappointed not to go on and win the game even after they equalised. It’s a point away from home, you’ll always take that at a tough place to come.”

Blues return to Vanarama National League action on Saturday, September 16 when they take on York City at the LNER Community Stadium (3pm).

FC Halifax Town: Johnson (Capt), Golden (Cosgrave 73’), Galvin, Summerfield, Senior, Stott, Hunter, Harker (Chikukwa 90+4’), Alli, Oluwabori (Evans 58’), Cummings Subs not used: Wilson, Keane

Southend United: Andeng Ndi, Scott-Morriss, Ralph (Capt) (Demetriou 70’), Kensdale, Bridge, Husin, Cardwell, Powell (Wood 85’), Taylor, Miley, Fonguck (Mooney 76’) Subs not used: Coker

Referee: Paul Marsden
Assistants: Curtis Wood and Danny Guest
Fourth Official: Benjamin Schofield

FC Halifax Town: Adam Senior 74’
Southend United: Wes Fonguck 51’

Attendance: 2,103 (316 from Southend United)


Brian Jeeves