Blues left licking their wounds as relegation moves a step closer

Brian Jeeves
Latest posts by Brian Jeeves (see all)

Southend United 0-2 Tranmere Rovers

Southend United suffered their nineteenth Sky Bet League Two defeat of the season and looked every bit relegation candidates as Tranmere Rovers eased to a 2-0 success at Roots Hall Stadium.

First-half goals from Paul Lewis and George Ray ensured the Birkenhead outfit a maximum return from their trip to south-east Essex. In truth, they hardly broke a sweat.

Blues haven’t won, nor indeed scored in four matches – the situation desperate – morale amongst the supporters, at best, minimal.

Blues offered little or no threat and on this evidence are relinquishing their League Two place without much of a fight. And although taking into account that Southend was facing a decent Tranmere side, this continued tale of woe is simply isn’t good enough for a fanbase that has had more than its fair share of hardship to deal with in recent years.

“First-half we were way short,” beleaguered Blues boss, Mark Molesklley bemoaned.

“Against quality opposition, you can’t give them that time and space. We were second best to every ball, and they showed their quality and their experience. We have to compete better than that, and we have been competing a lot better than that.

“We’ve just had a bad 45 minutes and we can’t let that happen again. Tranmere are a well organised, very good outfit, who have quality all over the park and you just can’t give them that space, you can’t give them that respect and we’ve come up physically short in that first-half. That isn’t the benchmark that we set.

Molesley added: “Tranmere are a top side, probably the best side we’ve seen down here this season, so our season won’t be defined by that one result. But it’s another game where we’ve wasted an evening’s work today, and that’s not good enough. We can’t afford to waste another one.”

Southend United return to Sky Bet League Two action on Saturday, March 13 when Stevenage are the visitors to Roots Hall Stadium (3pm).

Southend United: Montgomery, Bwomono, Cordner, Dieng, Clifford (Hart 46’), Hackett-Fairchild, Acquah (Goodship 46’), Demetriou (Taylor 69’), Holmes (Nathaniel-George 69’), Ferguson (McCormack 88’), White (Capt) Subs not used: Seaden, Hobson

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, O’Connor, Morris (Nugent 83’), Spearing, Woolery, Macdonald (Blackett-Taylor 90+3’), Feeney, Ray, Lewis, Clarke, Lloyd (Ridehalgh 87’) Subs not used: Murphy, Monthe, Crawford, Kirby

Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistants: Nigel Lugg and Robert Hyde
Fourth Official: George Byrne


Brian Jeeves