Blues on edge of drop zone after another home defeat

Dave Bishop
Latest posts by Dave Bishop (see all)

Southend United 0 York City 1

Southend United went down to their third home defeat in succession after an 89th minute strike by substitute Lenell John-Lewis was enough to see York City through at Roots Hall, to leave the Blues hovering above the relegation zone.

Kevin Maher made three changes to the Southend line-up following last Saturday’s 1-0 loss to Gateshead with Adam Crowther and Danny Waldron coming to make their first starts for the club, whilst James Morton replaced Wes Fonguck.

York started well with Dipo Akinyemi going close when nodding a looping header over the bar following Danny Amos’ cross in the 10th minute before Paddy McLaughlin’s volley from the edge of the box was parried behind by Collin Andeng-Ndi shortly after.

With the Minstermen continuing to push forward and pressurise Blues defence, Will Davies rattled the woodwork from close range following Ryan Fallowfield’s cross only for former Southend midfielder Alex Woodyard following up, to sky the rebound high over the crossbar.

Following the break, Southend went close when Gus Scott-Morriss cross was headed across the area by Harry Cardwell to Crowther, only for the former King’s Lynn defender to be denied by York keeper George Sykes-Kenworthy, who spectacularly palmed the ball to safety.

With the game looking to be drifting towards a stalemate, Callum Howe got his head onto a deep York corner to force a fine reflex save by Andeng-Ndi – only for the resultant loose ball to fall for John-Lewis to fire home the winner from close range with just a minute left to play.

The defeat sees Southend United drop to 19th in the table.

Next up for Blues in the Vanarama National League is a trip to play Oxford City at Court Place Farm on Saturday February 17 (3.00pm).

Southend United: Andeng-Ndi, Scott-Morriss, Ralph, Husin, Kensdale, Crowther, Bridge, Miley, Morton (Dackers 82’) Cardwell, Waldron (Sandat 74’) Subs not used: Wood, Fonguck, Demetriou.

York City: Sykes-Kenworthy, Crookes, Howe, McLaughlin, Smith, Fallowfield, Burgess (Chadwick 74’) Woodyard, Davies (John-Lewis 62’) Akinyemi (Batty 84’) Subs not used: Cordner, Barnes.

Referee: Callum Walchester

Assistants: Thomas Holden, Michael Hayden

Fourth Official: Joseph Casey

Attendance: 6,754