Blues tan ten-man Town

Brian Jeeves

Southend United v Aldershot Town – Vanarama National League – Roots Hall Stadium – Report

Southend United 4-1 Aldershot Town

Southend United moved three points clear of the Vanarama National League relegation zone after coming from behind to thrash play-off contenders Aldershot Town by four goals to one at a rocking Roots Hall Stadium.

Having returned to winning ways at Maidenhead United during the week, Blues boss, Kevin Maher urged his side to turn on the style back in front of their own crowd.

“We’ve had a couple of results at home that haven’t been great for us, but previously we’ve been very good,” Maher explained.

“We’ve got to keep those levels up and make it a difficult place for teams to come.

“It’s really tight, so all we can focus on is the next game and trying to get a result in that.

“You can’t affect what anyone else is doing, so there’s no point worrying about other results. You’ve got to get to a certain amount of points yourselves.”

But the home side were set back just before the twenty-minute mark when Josh Stokes fired Aldershot ahead after Lorent Tolaj’s initial attempt had been blocked.

Maher’s men were lucky not to go further behind when Tolaj hit the frame of the goal. However, the game turned on its head when Rollin Menayese fouled Danny Waldron and was given his marching order by referee David Richardson.

Shortly after, Harry Cardwell was on hand to restore parity after Aldershot stopper Van Stappershoef made a mess of dealing with a Jack Bridge free-kick.

Within four minutes, Southend forged ahead. Ollie Kensdale thumped home after James Morton had picked him out. Roots Hall roared its approval.

In stoppage time, Marcus Dackers picked out Jack Wood to neatly add a third, and to put the icing on the cake, Dackers himself grabbed a fourth after Wood turned provider.

The victory lifted Southend into sixteenth place. They return to Vanarama National League action on Tuesday, February 27, when Altrincham visits Roots Hall Stadium (7:45pm).

Southend United: Andeng-Ndi, Ralph, Crowther, Husin, Demetriou, Kensdale (Fonguck 87′), Bridge, Miley, Morton (Wood 66′), Cardwell (Dackers 80′), Waldron Subs not used: Sandat, Martin

Aldershot Town: van Stappershoef, Mnoga, Harfield, Stokes, O’Keefe (Barrett 81′), Menayese, Frost, Glover, Tetek (Thomas 59′), Tolaj, Daly (Harries 59′) Subs not used: Rowe, Mullins

Referee: David Richardson

Assistants: Robert Evans and Thomas Cooke

Fourth Official: Benjamin Bowles

Attendance: 6,631 (363 from Aldershot Town)


Brian Jeeves