Braintree pass Oxford exam to end their wretched run

Subscribe to get your latest local news articles by email each day...

Or click here to subscribe to our weekly digital edition. Your details will be stored to support your experience in line with our privacy policy.

Non-league round-up

National League South

BRAINTREE TOWN proved to be the pick of the regional bunch as the Irin ended an eleven-match winless sequence with a resounding 4-1 success at Oxford City.

Jordan Chiedozie, Charley O’Keefe, Liam Smyth and Josh Oyinson were all on target for the Iron at Court Place Farm – they move up to seventeenth as a result.

A crowd just shy of a thousand saw Chelmsford City share the spoils with Eastbourne Borough at the Melbourne Stadium. Shaun Jeffers gave the Clarets an early lead – Charlie Walker swiftly responding for the visitors.

Concord Rangers slipped to a narrow defeat at the hands of league leaders, Waymouth, at the Aspect Arena. Michael O’Donoghue’s flag-kick appeared to deflect home via a defender for the Beach Boys goal. However, strikes either side of the interval from Abdulai Baggie and Yemi Odubade saw Waymouth home by the odd goal in three.

National League

Dagenham & Redbridge were left frustrated when their derby with Barnet at the Hive fell foul of the inclement weather conditions.

The match officials deemed the playing surface unfit following an inspection early on Saturday morning, much to the disappointment of players and supporters of both clubs.

Elsewhere in the division, Chesterfield won 2-0 at Eastleigh and now sit level on points with the Daggers. Darryl McMahon’s men remain outside the relegation zone on goal difference.

BetVictor Isthmian League Premier Division

Bowers & Pitsea continue to climb away from the lower reaches of the division. Bradley Warner netted on the stroke of half-time to seal a single-goal victory at Corinthian-Casuals – Bowers now sit in fifteenth place.

Hornchurch’s play-off hopes were checked as Leatherhead claimed a share of the points at Bridge Avenue. Travis Gregory gave the visitors the lead just after the half-hour mark. Jordan Clark levelled for the Urchins midway through the second period.

Haringey Borough edged out Potters Bar Town in a five-goal thriller at Coles Park – Roman Michael Percil netted from the spot, while Romoluwa Akinola and Rakim Richards also found the net in a 3-2 success.

East Thurrock United were involved in a terrific encounter with Kingstonian at Rookery Hill. Mitchell Gilbey and Ben Marlow handed the Rocks a two-goal advantage only for the South Londoners to hit back and lead 3-2. Matthew Price salvaged a point for the home side with a goal three minutes from time.

Brightlingsea Regent was on the wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline as leaders, Worthing, took the points in North Essex. Meanwhile, Mark Haines and
Shomari Barnwell found the net for Bishop’s Stortford in a hard-fought 2-2 draw with Margate.

BetVictor Isthmian League North Division

Tilbury produced the result of the day, winning by two goals to one at league leaders, Maldon & Tiptree.

Last Dombaxe appeared to have set the Jammers on the way to their fifteenth win of the season. However, they were to taste defeat for the first time this term after Thomas Barton levelled the score eleven minutes from time, then a William Cracknell own-goal sealed it for the Dockers three minutes later.

Harrison Chatting and Alex Teniola scored for Heybridge Swifts as they closed the gap with a 2-0 win at Witham Town. Meanwhile, a last-minute strike from Joao Carlos was enough for Grays Athletic to see off Great Wakering Rovers in a closely contested match.

Essex Senior League

Saffron Walden Town continued their march towards the title with a 1-0 victory over Tower Hamlets at Catons Lane. Gavin Cockman supplied the single goal – Town are now five points clear of Hashtag United who kept up the pressure with a 4-1 win over Redbridge.

A number of matches fell foul of the wet weather, including third-placed Walthamstow’s trip to Stansted. However, Hadley was able to remain in contention after thrashing Sporting Bengal United by five goals to one.

West Essex impressively won by three unanswered goals at previously resurgent Southend Manor. Meanwhile, Clapton edged out St Margaretsbury – Jamie Age netting for the Tons shortly before half-time.

ProKit UK Essex Olympian League

Sungate saw off struggling Old Southendian and now hold a seven-point advantage at the top of the Premier Division. Leigh Ramblers are third following a 3-1 success at Shenfield AFC, while Kelvedon Hatch won by the odd goal in three at Springfield.

In Division One, league leaders, Chingford Athletic, played out an incredible 5-5 draw with Shoebury Town. Manford Way squeezed past Old Chelmsfordians by two goals to one, while Tony FC and Rayleigh Town Reserves shared eight goals in an epic encounter at the Fords Sports & Social Club, Newbury Park.

Old Southendian Reserves moved level on points with Leigh Town at the top of Division Two. Olly Tatton-Bennett scored from the spot, then David Stubbs netted a last-minute winner as the Old Boys edged out a well-organised Harold Wood Athletic second-string at Garon Park – Brad Foley with the visitor’s response.

But Leigh showed little sign of handing over the top spot. Sam Irvine and Kieron Craine netting in a 2-0 success at Wakering Sports.

Epping Town were the big winners of the day, thrashing Ryan FC 7-1. Meanwhile, May & Baker Eastbrook Community Reserves took the points with a 2-0 triumph at AS Rawreth.

Charlie Little scored all four goals as top of the table Wakebury beat Collier Row in a topsy-turvy Division Three clash at Shoebury Park.

Second-placed ACD United won 2-0 at White Ensign Reserves, while Corinthian seconds lost ground after slipping to a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Buckhurst Hill Reserves.

Plenty of goals at the Lakeside Sports Ground where Lakeside beat Hutton Reserves by five goals to three.

Bishop’s Stortford Swifts Reserves remain top of Division Five after a 3-1 triumph over Wakering Sports Development. Newbury Forest’s second string were too strong for their Shoebury Town counterparts, winning by four unanswered goals. Meanwhile, Runwell Sports Reserves beat Herongate Athletic seconds 3-1 and Springfield seconds won by the odd goal in seven at Leigh Ramblers Reserves.

Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]