Cardwell on target as Blues’ unbeaten run continues

Ebbsfleet United v Southend United – Kuflink Stadium – Vanarama National League – Report

Ebbsfleet United 1-1 Southend United 

Harry Cardwell netted his 17th goal of the season to earn Southend United a share of the Vanarama National League spoils at Ebbsfleet United, extending their unbeaten sequence to twelve matches in the process.

A busy schedule coupled with a small, fairly inexperienced squad has added pressure to the Blues of late. Nevertheless, they have continued to dig out results. Boss, Kevin Maher was quick to play down potential excuses: “It is a short turnaround and an intense period, especially at this stage of the season. We’ve had a bit of travel as well, but it is what it is,” he explained.

“You go away to a play-off side and get a good result, but now you’ve got to re-organise yourself and go again. We haven’t had much time in terms of prep, but the players have done everything they can to make sure they’re ready for a real tough game.

“We’re on a good run and we’ve gone a lot of games without losing, but the most important thing is to attack the next game.”

Blues forged ahead just after the twenty-minute mark when Cardwell glanced home following a set piece orchestrated by Oli Coker.

But the home side – who had won five of their last six league fixture, pulling themselves clear of the dropzone – restored parity after the beak when substitute Dominic Poleon impressively found the net.

James Morton passed up an opportunity to win it for the visitors, which in truth, would have been harsh on Ebbsfleet. Southend remain in tenth place. They return to Vanarama National League action on Monday, April 1 when Boreham Wood visits Roots Hall Stadium (3pm).

Ebbsfleet United: Cousins, Edser, Clifford, Bilongo (Cundle 64′), Kenlock, Samuel (Poleon 69′), Wright, Chapman (McQueen 89′), Fogarty, Bingham, Skura Subs not used: Tanner, Domi

Southend United: Andeng-Ndi, Scott-Morriss, Ralph, Dackers, Taylor, Kensdale, Bridge (Demetriou 87′), Miley, Fonguck (Sandat 57′), Coker, Cardwell (Morton 57′) Subs not used: Crowther, Waldron

Referee: Lauren Impey

Assistants: Lee Hartley and David Hutton

Fourth Official: Constantine Hatzidakis

Attendance: 4,019 (1,795 from Southend United)


Brian Jeeves