Chilvers strike points U’s to safety 

Colchester United v Crewe Alexandra – Sky Bet League Two – JoServe Community Stadium – Report

Colchester United 1-1 Crewe Alexandra

Colchester United retained their Sky Bet League Two status following a tense 1-1 draw with Crewe Alexandra at the JobServe Community Stadium.

The U’s needed a single point to avoid the drop and send Sutton United crashing into the Vanarama National League, while visitors Crewe required the same equation to book a play-off place

Danny Cowley left a clear message ahead of the game: “We have total clarity over what we need to do,” he explained.

“We have a clear game plan and we spent some time on Thursday morning with the group and for us, it’s always been about the process and the performance. 

“So, if we put all of our energy into trying to get a good performance and then ultimately the outcomes take care of themselves.”

In front of a bumper audience, numbering 6,491, Colchester settled their nerves and forged ahead ten minutes before the interval thanks to Noah Chilvers’ superb individual effort.

With Sutton needing a sizable victory at MK Dons, coupled with the U’s slipping to defeat, Colchester never remotely looked in danger of slipping into the relegation zone.

Indeed, despite Sutton battling to a 4-4 draw at StadiumMK, Colchester remained in control of their destiny throughout.

Crewe snatched a stoppage-time equaliser through Elliott Nevitt, ensuring celebrations all-round. No doubt, the U’s long-suffering support will be looking for a vast improvement next season, with their management team, Danny and Nicky Cowley, starting with a blank canvas.

Colchester United: Hornby, Mingi, Kelleher, Hall, Iandolo, McGeehan, Read, Fevrier, Hopper, Chilvers, Akinde (Harbottle 68′) Subs not used: Goodman, Jay, Wilkinson, Richardson, Cooper, Ihionvien

Crewe Alexandra: Stryjek, Cooney (Kirk 81′), Williams, Demetriou, Adebisi, Tabiner, Billington, Tracey (Baker-Richardson 71′), Holícek (Austerfield 45′), Long (Rowe 45′) Subs not used: Rowe, Finney, Agius, Lenarcik

Referee: Lewis Smith

Assistants: Joseph Stokes and Daniel Robinson

Fourth Official: Jacob Miles

Attendance: 6,491

Brian Jeeves