City comeback stuns Spurs 

Brian Jeeves

Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur – Premier League – Etihad Stadium – Report

Manchester City 4-2 Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur’s troubled Premier League campaign continued as they surrendered a two-goal lead before slipping to a 4-2 defeat at the hands of title-chasing Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium.

Having spent much of the opening period on the back foot, Spurs, who had been disappointingly beaten by their North London rivals, Arsenal, at the weekend, stunned the home side by scoring twice in the closing minutes of the opening period.

Dejan Kulusevski fired the Lilywhites ahead with a left-footed strike after City goalkeeper Ederson had failed to clear his lines. And it was two-nil in first-half stoppage-time when Emerson Royal headed home from close range.

However, having been booed off at the interval, City spectacularly hit back immediately after the restart. Julián Álvarez reduced the arrears, and then Erling Haaland swiftly restored parity after Riyad Mahrez had headed into his path.

Spurs stopper, Hugo Lloris, received heavy criticism following his performance in the derby and the Frenchman was again at fault as Mahrez swept City ahead with a shot which beat the beleaguered keeper at his near post.

Mahrez bagged his second and City’s fourth in stoppage time to kill the contest. The talented Algerian international beat Lloris after Ederson had launched the ball forward.

The defeat was Tottenham’s seventh of the season. They return to Premier League action on Monday, January 23 when they face Fulham at Craven Cottage (8pm).

Manchester City: Ederson, Lewis (Walker 83′), Akanji, Stones, Ake, Gundogan (Capt) (Silva 81′), Rodri, Grealish, Mahrez, Haaland (Dias 90+1′), Alvarez Subs not used: Ortega, Phillips, Cancelo, Laporte, De Bruyne, Foden.

Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris (Capt), Romero, Dier, Davies (Lenglet 78′), Royal (Richarlison 78′), Hojbjerg, Bentancur (Bissouma 75′), Perisic (Sessegnon 69′, Kulusevski, Kane, Son Subs not used: Forster (GK), Doherty, Sanchez, Tanganga, Sarr

Referee: Simon Hooper

Assistants: Adrian Holmes and Eddie Smart

Fourth Official: David Coote

VAR: Darren England 

Assistant VAR: Matthew Wilkes


Brian Jeeves