Colchester beaten on penalties after Ipswich stalemate

Ipswich Town v Colchester United – Papa John’s Trophy – Portman Road – Report

Ipswich Town 0-0 Colchester United
(Ipswich Town won 4-3 on penalties)

Colchester United’s participation in this season’s Papa John’s Trophy was brought to its conclusion following a Portman Road penalty shootout against local rivals Ipswich Town.

With several former Town players now amongst the Colchester ranks and off the back of a somewhat ‘tasty’ pre-season meeting between the two sides, this tie was anticipated perhaps a little more eagerly than the usual Papa John’s Trophy tie. However, it proved to be a far more timid encounter for the crowd, numbering more than 8,000.

Both sides had early opportunities. Kane Vincent-Young, the one player afield that had moved in the opposite direction, almost turned a low Freddie Sears’ centre into his own-goal, while U’s stopper Jake Turner beat away a fierce drive from Joe Pigott as early intentions were made clear.

Pigott was left frustrated by an assistants’ flag after Conor Chapling had picked him out, while Vincent-Young scuffed wide. In between, Sears was again busy for the visitors. This time, Vaclav Hladky knocked the frontman off his stride as he looked set to pull the trigger.

Pigott continued his one-man crusade – Turner scooped his attempt onto the bar, while Louie Barrie passed up two decent openings as the home side pressed with greater intent. Meanwhile, Luke Hannant should have done better – the Colchester man driving directly at Luke Woolfenden after finding himself in acres of room twelve yards from goal. Frank Nouble also asked the question. However, Hladky had the measure of his angled strike just before the break.

The untidy nature of the contest continued after the restart. Hladky produced an unorthodox save to thwart Sears, while Turner was on his metal to turn aside another attempt from Pigott, and then a similar strike by Scott Fraser.

A severe lack of composure in the final third was evident on both sides and summed up by Wes Burns’ horribly wayward effort. Pigott tried to redress the balance from distance – Turner able to flick his speculative drive over the top.

U’s substitute, Shay Cooper passed up a glorious opportunity in stoppage-time. lifting wide after Hladky’s poor kick had been intercepted. And the wastefulness crept into the resulting shootout with both Pigott and Sears denied by Turner and Hladky.

However, it was Town that held their nerve. Skipper, Sone Aluko dispatched, while Cooper agonisingly hit an upright.

Colchester United return to Sky Bet League Two action on Saturday, November 20 when they take on Stevenage at the Lamex Stadium (3pm).

Ipswich Town: Vaclav Hladky, Rekeem Harper, Luke Woolfenden, Joe Pigott, Scott Fraser, Louie Barry (Janoi Donacien 71′), Conor Chaplin, Sone Aluko (Capt), Kane Vincent-Young (Wes Burns 46′), Cameron Burgess, Myles Kenlock (Bailey Clements 46′) Subs not used: Tomas Holy (GK), Lee Evans, Kayden Jackson, Bersant Celina

Booked: Scott Fraser (foul)
Goals: None

Colchester United: Jake Turner, Luke Chambers, Brendan Wiredu, Luke Hannant, Frank Nouble, Noah Chilvers, Tom Eastman (Capt), Gene Kennedy (Chay Cooper 60′), Junior Tchamadeu (Miles Welch-Hayes 68′), Charlie Daniels (Cameron Coxe 84′) Subs not used: Dean Gerken (GK), Shawn McCoulsky, Donnell Thomas, Samson Tovide

Booked: Cameron Coxe (foul)
Goals: None

Referee: Paul Howard
Assistants: Andrew Aylott and Paul Yates
Fourth Official: Ryan Whitaker

Attendance: 8,100 (566 from Colchester United)


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]