Colchester collapse! 

Colchester United v Barrow – Sky Bet League Two – JobServe Community Stadium – Report

Colchester United 1-4 Barrow

Colchester United suffered a second-half collapse as Sky Bet League Two play-off contenders Barrow came from behind to record a resounding 4-1 victory at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Having been confirmed as the U’s Head Coach on a permanent basis, Matthew Etherington, suffered his first defeat in the hot seat as the U’s were beaten at Stockport last time out.

The former West Ham man was keen to see a response from his side but wary of the Cumbrian outfits form: “Obviously, you need to go through Barrow and their strengths, but it’s definitely more of a case of what we can do to affect them,” he explained.

“They’re a good side in good form lately, so we know it’s going to be another tough game.”

Nevertheless, it was Colchester who hit the front in twenty minutes when Cameron McGeehan found the net from close range. It was the midfielders’ fifth goal of the campaign.

But high-flying Barrow was on terms seven minutes after the restart when George Ray bundled home after Telford had hit the goal frame, although U’s defender Will Greenidge might have got the final touch. That proved to be the turning point.

The U’s afternoon continued turning sour. Jayden Fevrier was shown a second yellow card following a foul on Elliot Newby. Barrow swiftly made their numerical advantage count. Ray delivered the goods as the visitors forged ahead. And he was on target again following another troublesome flag-kick

Zach Mitchell’s own goal compounded the U’s miserable afternoon and left them just five points above the dropzone. They return to Sky Bet League Two action on Tuesday, November 28, when they face Doncaster Rovers at the Eco-Power Stadium (7:45pm).

Colchester United: Smith, Greenidge, Dallison, Tovide (Ihionvien 76’), Chilvers, McGeehan, Mitchell, Read, Egbo, Taylor, Fevrier Subs not used: Collins, Kelleher, Jay, Hopper, Kennedy, Cooper

Barrow AFC: Farman, Campbell, Ray, Canavan, Spence, Proctor (Whitfield 77’), Newby, Gotts (White 46’), Chester (Feely 72’), Stephenson (Worrall 72’), Telford (Acquah 72’) Subs not used: Lillis

Referee: Declan Bourne

Assistants: Andrew Aylott and Adrian Tranter

Fourth Official: Stuart Kane


Brian Jeeves