Colchester stage brave fightback in six goal thriller

Colchester United 3 Forest Green Rovers 3

Colchester United and Forest Green Rovers shared the spoils in a six-goal thriller at the JobServe Community Stadium as Danny Cowley’s men came back from 2-0 down to lead 3-2, only for Dominic Thompson to equalise in the 74th minute to secure bottom placed Rovers a point.

Cowley made one enforced change following U’s 1-0 win at Morecambe last week, with Stevenage loanee Harry Anderson replacing injured Cameron McGeehan.

Rovers took the lead after only ten minutes when Riley Harbottle was adjudged to have fouled Jordan Moore-Taylor in the area and Matty Stevens converted the resultant spot kick.

The visitors doubled their lead in the 27th minute when Christian Doidge, netted from close range following a scramble in the area after the U’s defence had failed to clear their lines.

Alistair Smith halved the deficit for Colchester after being played in by sub John Akinde to finish clinically into the bottom corner of the net in the 65th minute before Jayden Fevrier got onto the end of Anderson’s cut back to side-foot home the equaliser just two minutes later.

Colchester competed an amazing turnaround when in the 70th minute, Tom Hopper found Anderson to cut inside and curl the ball past Luke Daniels from the edge of the area to make it 3-2.

With the topsy-turvy nature of the game continuing, Thompson’s long range bobbling effort took a massive deflection past Owen Goodman to bring the scores level with just over quarter of an hour to play.

U’s went close to a fourth when with Daniels beaten, Jayden Richardson’s curling effort just missed the top corner near the end.

The point leaves Colchester in twenty-first place – seven points above the relegation zone.

Next up for the U’s is a trip to the EnviroVent Stadium to play Harrogate Town on Saturday February 10 (3.00pm)

Colchester United: Goodman, Iandolo, Hall, Chilvers (Akinde 61’) Hopper, Read, Anderson (Wilkinson 80’) Harbottle, Richardson, A. Smith, Fevrier. Subs not used: Hornby, Jay, Edwards, Mingi, Ihionvien.

Forest Green Rovers: Daniels, Inniss, McAllister, McCann, Stevens (Jones 77’), Moore-Taylor (Bernard 43’), Thompson (Oyedele 90’), Dabo (Robson 77’), Bunker, Osadebe. Subs not used: Simkin, Omotoye, Brown.

Referee: Neil Hair

Assistants: Paul Kelly, Stephen Brown

Fourth Official: Anthony Da Costa

Attendance: 4,519