Coronavirus patient back home after spending two months in an induced coma at Queen’s Hospital

A Collier Row man returned home to his family on Wednesday June 17 after 70 days battling COVID-19 at Queen’s Hospital, including two months in an induced coma.

Steve Attfield, 50, first complained of a backache in early April. Over the next few days his breathing got worse and he also developed a temperature.

The warehouse manager, of Boxmoore Road, was admitted to Queen’s Hospital, run by Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, on Wednesday April 8, then moved to intensive care over the Easter weekend.

Steve’s wife Gemma, 41, said: “It was not Good Friday for us. Steve texted me in the morning to say he was feeling better, the next thing I knew he was in an induced coma in intensive care.

“About a week later I was called in to say goodbye to him as he had multiple organ failure and they didn’t think he was going to make it. It was the most horrible experience of my life.

Father of two, Steve, said: “It’s really nice to be home with the family.”

Gemma added: “He’s got a long recovery ahead of him and needs our help – he said he’s a pain but he’s not. It’s so nice to have him home and have some normality as a family again.”

Steve is just one of the more than 1,500 patients with confirmed or suspected Covid-19 who, during the pandemic, have recovered and been sent home from the Trust’s two hospitals, Queen’s and King George. This includes 66 people in the last week.

Mick Ferris

Editor Email: [email protected]