COVID concerns cause Blues postponement

Southend United’s Sky Bet League Two clash with high-flying Cambridge United at Roots Hall Stadium has been postponed after it emerged that several of the Blues players had returned positive COVID-19 tests.

A statement posted on www.southendunited explained;

Southend United can confirm that tomorrow’s (Saturday 21st November) Sky Bet League Two fixture against Cambridge United at Roots Hall has been postponed.

This is following a small number of players testing positive for COVID-19, the EFL’s Doctor instructing another squad member to isolate due to their close proximity of a player who tested positive and a plethora of players being unavailable due to injury.

The club would only be able to field a maximum of 10 professional outfield players and two goalkeepers in the matchday squad and because of this, the club have advised the EFL that it is unable to safely fulfil the fixture.

The club is following all of Public Health England and the EFL’s COVID-19 protocols and will not name the players in question. We ask that their request for privacy and confidentiality are respected at this time.

However, the decision has not gone down well at Cambridge – the Abbey Stadium club taking to their own social media platform to state;

Cambridge United have received late notification tonight from Southend United, declaring they are unable to field a team for tomorrow’s Sky Bet League Two fixture at Roots Hall.

Having received an email from Southend United Football Club at 9:40pm this evening, stating their wish for the game to be postponed, Cambridge United have made representation to both the EFL and Southend to express our disappointment and that we feel it would still be possible for the fixture to be played.

Further details will be confirmed in due course, however, for clarity, tomorrow’s fixture has indeed been postponed.

No announcement has yet been made as to whether Southend’s forthcoming matches with Forest Green Rovers, on Tuesday, November 24, then at Bolton Wanderers on Saturday 28, will go ahead.


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]