Daggers play-off hopes dented

Wealdstone v Dagenham & Redbridge – Vanarama National League – Grosvenor Vale – Report

Wealdstone 1-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

Despite creating numerous chances throughout the match, Dagenham and Redbridge slipped to their second successive defeat, with Ashley Charles scoring after just five minutes as Wealdstone moved up into tenth place in the table – just outside the play-off spots on goal difference.

Daryl McMahon made three changes to the side that lost 2-0 at home to Yeovil Town last Saturday as Elliott Johnson, Paul McCallum and Manny Onarise replaced Josh Hare, Harry Phipps (suspended after being sent off in the game) and Josh Walker, who left for Burton Albion in the week. 

In addition, Angelo Balanta returned to the squad for the first time this season to take his place on the substitutes bench.

Charles gave the Stones their early lead when he slotted the ball past Elliot Justham following a good run and pass from Brooklyn Ilunga.

Both Olufela Olomola and Jack Cook both had chances to extend Wealdstone’s lead before Daggers went close just prior to the half-hour mark when Junior Morias’ deflected effort rebounded back to Mo Sagaf, whose shot was then well saved by keeper Sam Howes.

Just moments later, Paul McCullum headed just over the bar and the half ended with skipper Matt Robinson’s twenty-yard drive being parried out by Howes straight to the feet of Junior Morias, who drove the ball into the side netting.

Just before the hour mark, Morias’ shot hit the crossbar, only for the ball to rebound to Omar Mussa, who was denied once more by Howes.

The outstanding Howes pulled off two more fine saves late on in the game, the first from Balanta’s header and another, just two minutes from time, a twenty-five-yard effort from Myles Weston.

Daggers can consider themselves most unfortunate not to have taken something from the game but despite the number of goalscoring opportunities created throughout, they were unable to make the breakthrough & Wealdstone were able to hang on to claim the three points.

Wealdstone: Howes, Cook, Charles, Obiero, Olomola (Allarakhia 67′) Freckleton, Andrews (Ferguson 67′) Dyer, Ilunga, Kretzschma, Barker Subs not used: Barrett, Hutchinson

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Ling, Longe-King, Sagaf (Mussa 46′) Johnson, Onariase (Balanta 75′) Rance, Robinson, Morias, McCallum, Weston. Subs not used: Ibie, Bird, Taylor

Referee: Lloyd Wood

Assistants: Jack Fagg and Andrew Hickman

Fourth Official: Lawrence Torz-Brown

Attendance: 1,634