Dangerous driver jailed after three people seriously injured in Barking collision

Mick Ferris
Latest posts by Mick Ferris (see all)

A man has been sentenced after seriously injuring three people in a road traffic collision in Barking and failing to stop at the scene.

On Monday October 19, Klaidas Keblas, 25, of no fixed address, was found guilty at Snaresbrook Crown Court of two counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, following which he pleaded guilty to the charges of failing to stop at the scene of the collision and failing to report the collision.

He was sentenced as follows:

1. Causing serious Injury by dangerous driving – 56 months imprisonment x two [to be served concurrently].
2. Failing to stop at the scene of a collision – four months imprisonment [to be served consecutively].
3. Failing to report a collision – four months imprisonment [to be served concurrently].

A total of 60 months imprisonment. Keblas will not be eligible for release until 60 months have been served.

He was also disqualified from driving for 60 months [this was enhanced to 90 months to reflect the custodial sentence] and he will also be required to complete an extended re-test.

During the week-long trial, the court heard that in the early hours of Friday March 6, a collision occurred in the Northern Relief Road, Barking junction with North Street.

A Grey Audi A3, driven by Keblas, had collided head-on with a blue Vauxhall Zafira. Such was the force of the collision that both vehicles spun around and came to rest facing the opposite direction to which they were originally travelling.

Keblas got out of the Audi and made off, leaving three people seriously injured at the scene.

Two male passengers, both aged 24, were sitting in the front passenger seat of the Audi, one on the other’s lap. Both sustained serious injuries.

The driver of the Vauxhall sustained critical injuries.

All three were taken to east London hospitals where they underwent varying degrees of emergency treatment.

Detectives conducted enquiries to trace Keblas at a number of addresses without success. However, from his mobile phone which was found in the Audi, officers found that he had booked a flight out of the country leaving later that same day.

Keblas was arrested at Luton Airport just prior to boarding a flight to Lithuania.

He was charged the following day and remanded in custody. He later entered a plea of not guilty and was convicted by a unanimous jury.

Detective Sergeant Edward Coleman, of the Met’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit based at Chadwell Heath, said: The not guilty plea entered by Keblas meant that all three victims were put through a criminal trial – this truly did add insult to very serious injury.

“At the time of the collision, Keblas was driving on the wrong side of the road, and although all three victims survived their injuries, two of them continue to have treatment and are still recovering more than seven months on.

“As the victims reconcile themselves to living with the after effects of their injuries, Keblas’s cowardly actions in leaving them lying injured are something he will have time to reflect on as he serves his sentence.”


Mick Ferris

Editor Email: mickferris@yellowad.co.uk