- SPECIAL REPORT – Part 1: Southend ‘sex ring’ victim says ‘heads should roll’ after paedophile ‘informant’ was set free to molest more children - 23/12/2019
- SPECIAL REPORT – Part 2: ‘Shoebury Sex Ring’ victim breaks 30-year silence to detail horrific web of abuse - 23/12/2019
- Rochford woman wins public vote for Essex Sports Personality of the Year - 11/12/2019
FIREFIGHTERS were rushed to a kitchen fire in Thurrock yesterday, after a dog switched on the microwave while its owner was out.
The owner discovered the blaze when they noticed smoke in their kitchen whilst viewing a live CCTV feed of the property on their phone.
Two fire crews – from Corringham and Grays – were scrambled to the two-storey property in Kingsman Road, Stanford le Hope, at 2.38pm on Monday, December 2.
The owner’s husky had jumped up and switched on the microwave.
Inside the microwave, the owner had left a packet of bread rolls, which caught light.
Firefighters were able to enter the property and put out the fire before the dog came to any harm.
Geoff Wheel, watch manager at Corringham fire station, said: “Clearly, this is a very strange incident involving the man’s dog, but it could still have been more serious.
“When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke. Firefighters ensured the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area, but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn’t be used to store food when they aren’t in use.
“Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging.
“Animals and children can turn them on more easily than you might think, so please don’t run the risk.”