Embleton exits after O’s slip to defeat

Leyton Orient 1-3 Tranmere Rovers

Seven games without a win saw the unsurprising departure of Head Coach Ross Embleton, after a meek surrender to the in-form Lillywhites, on Saturday.

Paul Lewis, Kaiyne Woolery and sub, Kieron Morris were on target, as the EFL Trophy finalists barely broke a sweat. Sub, Jamie Turley got the O’s solitary reply.

Orient’s bright start, with Conor Wilkinson and James Brophy going close, was undone, on 25 minutes, by sloppy Ouss Cissé play – on the edge of his own box lead to the loss of possession.
Equally sloppy defending saw the O’s failure to deal with Lee O’Connor’s driven cross. Lewis then reacted quickest and bundled home from a couple of yards out.

The O’s continued to frustrate their locked-down, streaming supporters by persisting with the tactic of playing a lone striker – a heavily marked Danny Johnson – who barely got a touch in a forgettable opening half.

Predictably, the O’s showed little improvement after the turnaround. New signing, Adam Thompson was caught in possession by James Vaughan, on 56 minutes and co-striker, Woolery took full advantage – shooting across a helpless Lawrence Vigouroux to effectively claim the points.

The highlight of the afternoon was – arguably – Embleton making a triple substitution after the second goal, with Hector Kyprianou replacing Thompson, fit-again Craig Clay on for the ineffective Cissé and Tristan Abrahams on for an out-of-sorts, Nick Freeman.

But, no sooner had the trio been on the park, an unmarked Morris, from a half-cleared corner, bundled home, on the hour, with his first meaningful touch – to add insult to injury.

Turley then – almost apologetically – showed his out-of-touch strikers the way with a fine, 68th-minute glancing header – literally seconds after entering the fray, in place of Dan Kemp.

Even sensing a dramatic comeback, visiting keeper, Scott Davies then had to make a couple of smart blocks, as Turley’s unlikely strike at least had the desired effect.

But, it was too little, too late, as the O’s slipped into the bottom half of the table and are now looking for a new manager.

Other than a statement on the Leyton Orient official website announcing Embleton’s departure, it was left to Tranmere boss Keith Hill to take centre stage and said: “I’m very pleased with this win and last Tuesday’s triumph at Carlisle. But, we’re not getting carried away. We’re just focusing on the next game. It’s fifty points on the board. The target is to get to sixty.”

Rovers’ towering James Ray added: “I’m just pleased to be back in the side. It was a good three points, on a day when we probably weren’t at our best. And, as per at the start of the season – with us in the top three – promotion is our aim”.

Leyton Orient: Lawrence Vigouroux, Tunji Akinola, Dan Happe, Adam Thompson (Hector Kyprianou 57′), James Brophy, Jobi McAnuff, Ouss Cissé (Craig Clay 57′), Nick Freeman (Tristan Abrahams 57′), Dan Kemp (Jamie Turley 66′), Conor Wilkinson, Danny Johnson Subs not used: Sam Sargeant (GK), Joe Widdowson, Josh Coulson.

Tranmere Rovers: Scott Davies, Lee O’Connor, Peter Clarke, Calum McDonald, Paul Lewis, Jay Spearing, Liam Feeney, George Ray, Kaiyne Woolery (Liam Ridehalgh 75′), James Vaughan (David Nugent 84′), Danny Lloyd-McGoldrick (Kieron Morris 46′) Subs not used: Corey Blackett-Taylor, Joe Murphy (GK), Ali Crawford, Nya Kirby

Referee: Antony Goggins
Assistants: Andrew Aylott and Gary Maskell
Fourth Official: Will Finnie


Rowland Lyons

Email: [email protected]