FA Women’s Super League – Round-Up…

Manchester City are top of the table as the teams break for international duty, but Chelsea and Arsenal below them now have a game in hand due to their involvement in the Continental Tyres League Cup final on Sunday.

After an intense and evenly matched game, Arsenal retained their Continental Tyres League Cup final with the winning goal scored by Stina Blackstenius in extra time, just four minutes from going to a penalty shootout. 

The game was a battle throughout, with Chelsea having their goal ruled out by VAR due to a handball in the lead-up play. There were also harrowing scenes as Arsenal player Frida Maanum collapsed on the field off the ball. She received medical treatment on the pitch and was stretchered off down the tunnel. 

Arsenal have thankfully since reported that she was stable and alert and travelled home with the team.

Chelsea will no doubt approach their Champions League, FA Cup and League Title hopes with renewed vigour, now the quadruple in Emma Hayes’ final season is off the table…

 West Ham United 0-0 Brighton & Hove Albion

It was a somewhat uninspiring afternoon at The Chigwell Construction stadium as West Ham & Brighton and Hove Albion battled in a nil-nil draw. The result keeps The Hammers one step further away from relegation.  

There was little to call between the teams in the first half, but it was the visitors who had the first chance to get on the score sheet. But Elisabeth Terland’s effort was blocked by Amber Tysiak in West Ham’s defence.  

The teams battled on, and it wasn’t until just before the break that another real chance came for either side.  

Emma Snerle tested Sophie Baggaley between the sticks for Brighton, but her shot from long range was gathered by Brighton’s number one.  

West Ham’s Riko Ueki had the chance to head home and open the scoring, but the shot was squandered and didn’t make it past Baggaley.  

As the second half began, it was The Hammers who continued with the best efforts of the game, with Ueki’s shot going agonisingly wide.  

Honoka Hayashi was next up to try her luck and saw her shot tipped over the bar by Baggaley in goal.  

The Seagulls came close when Madison Haley’s deflected shot went wide to deny them their place on the score sheet.  

The home side continued to look the most likely to score, with chances from Vivianne Asseyi and substitute Princess Ademiluyi going begging.

The final moments of the game could have been The Seagulls when Elisabeth Terland’s deflected shot almost made it 1-0 but was rescued by Baggaley. 

There was also a chance for a penalty when Madison Haley was brought down by Jorelyn Carabali, but appeals were waved away by the referee.

As the final whistle blew, the points were shared.

The clean sheets for both teams were the most notable outcomes of the game, it was West Ham’s first clean sheet in sixteen games, and Brighton’s first since January in their FA Cup match against Luton Town.

The Hammers manager Rehanne Skinner took positives from the game despite only getting a point for their hard work in the game.

Speaking to www.whufc.com, she said: “I think it’s important when you get to that stage that you show the character and resilience to see it out, still play with composure and make sure you get some points out the game. The point is important, and the clean sheet is huge.

The Seagulls midfielder Maisie Symonds was still positive about the outcome of the game, her side was also proud of the clean sheet from the game.

Speaking to MyAlbionTV she said, “Although we’re frustrated we didn’t get the win, we’re glad we didn’t concede and we’re glad we got a point today.”

Next up for the teams, West Ham travel to face Manchester City and Brighton and Hove Albion host Everton.