Former Stanford-le-Hope teacher banned for life after accessing child porn

A former Thurrock primary school teacher has been banned from the profession for life after accessing child pornography.

Robert Salvage was previously employed at Stanford-le-Hope Primary School as a class teacher from September 1, 2016, until his resignation on September 19, 2019.

Six days later the 38-year-old was arrested by police for accessing indecent images of children on October 30, 2018, according to a teacher misconduct report.

Following a police investigation Salvage accepted a conditional caution in October 2019 with certain conditions, including having to attend and actively engage in the Victim Awareness Course.

Mr Salvage was placed on the Sex Offenders Register for a period of five years.

He has now been banned for life from teaching by the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) which found his actions to be “calculated and motivated”.

The TRA also removed his entitlement for a review to allow any return to the profession.

Stanford Le Hope Primary School is part of Osborne Co-operative Academy Trust which runs 12 primary and secondary schools.

Alan Meyrick of the TRA said in a report he “concluded that a prohibition order is proportionate and in the public interest” and additionally “that allowing for no review period is necessary to maintain public confidence and is proportionate and in the public interest”.

He added: “This means that Mr Robert Salvage is prohibited from teaching indefinitely and cannot teach in any school, sixth form college, relevant youth accommodation or children’s home in England.

“Furthermore, in view of the seriousness of the allegations found proved against him, I have decided that Mr Robert Salvage shall not be entitled to apply for restoration of his eligibility to teach.”

Stanford le Hope Primary School headteacher Lisa Glandfield said: “Osborne Co-operative Academy Trust and Stanford le Hope Primary School take safeguarding allegations very seriously and have a good proven record of safeguarding all our children.

“On September 22, 2021, the Department for Education’s Professional Conduct Panel disqualified a former member of staff at this school from teaching.

“We need to stress that children at our school were not directly affected by this person’s actions. We have co-operated with the Police and Local Authority Designated Officer throughout their investigations, and followed correctly all staff disciplinary procedures.”

Advertisement

Piers Meyler

Local Democracy Reporter