Hammers cup dreams ended at Old Trafford

Manchester United 1-0 West Ham United (after extra-time)

West Ham United slipped out of the Emirates FA Cup after substitutes, Scott McTominay’s extra-time strike was enough to settle an otherwise instantly forgettable fifth-round tie at Old Trafford.

Scottish international, McTominay fired home seven minutes into the extended period. Declan Rice lost possession, Anthony Martial centred, with Marcus Rashford fashioning the opening after the Hammers had failed to clear the danger.

Earlier, Lukasz Fabianski produced a brilliant save to keep out Victor Lindelöf’s deflected header. Meanwhile, Craig Dawson was unable to direct goalwards as the East Londoners threatened in the closing stages of normal time.

Speaking after the game, Hammers boss, David Moyes, explained: “We wanted to win and we showed that.

“The players put in a great performance for 120 minutes and we’ve not quite come out on top.

“It says a lot with what we’re doing right now that we’re coming here and running them really close in the big games.

“We’re challenging a lot of the so-called bigger teams so we have to keep playing at that standard and giving ourselves a chance of winning these games.”

West Ham United return to Premier League action on Monday, February 15 when Sheffield United are the visitors to the London Stadium (6pm).

Manchester United: Henderson, Wan-Bissaka (Williams 91’), Lindelöf, Maguire, Telles (Shaw 91’), Matic (McTominay 73’), Fred, Greenwood (Cavani 86’), van de Beek (Fernandes 73’), Rashford, Martial Subs not used: Grant (GK), Tuanzebe, James, Diallo

West Ham United: Fabiański, Coufal, Dawson, Ogbonna (Diop 16’) (Fredericks 46’), Cresswell, Rice, Souček, Bowen (Johnson 46’), Noble, Fornals (Benrahma 88), Yarmolenko (Odubeko 54’) (Lanzini 112’) Subs not used: Trott (GK), Balbuena, Alves

Referee: Paul Tierney

Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis and Ian Hussin

Fourth Official: Lee Mason

VAR: Craig Pawson

Assistant VAR: Richard West


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]