Hammers stung by busy Bees

Brentford v West Ham United – Premier League – Brentford Community Stadium – Report

Brentford 2-0 West Ham United 

West Ham United’s hopes of a top-six finish took a damaging hit as all-action Brentford recorded a Premier League double over David Moyes’ men with a comfortable 2-0 victory at the Community Stadium.

Having won by the odd goal in three at the London Stadium earlier in the season, Moyes was fully aware of Brentford’s threat – further highlighted against local rivals, Chelsea a week previous.

“They were a good side last year, they came up and they look as though they are having a good first year consolidating in the Premier League, so they’ll be really pleased with how they have done,” the Scotsman explained.

“It was a great result they had at Chelsea last week, but all we can do is concentrate on ourselves and hopefully get ourselves ready for another big game.”

Off the back of that resounding success at Stamford Bridge, unsurprisingly it was Brentford who applied the early pressure, with Ivan Toney’s power and Brian Mbeumo’s pace providing the Hammers backline with a conundrum – the latter nodding directly at Lukasz Fabianski with the games first genuine opportunity.

Mbeumo forced Fabianski into a flying save as the pair continued their duel. The Frenchman fired over from the resulting flag-kick. 

Tomas Soucek headed directly at Bees stopper, David Raya as the East Londoners finally emerged from their shell. Meanwhile, Fabiaski again thwarted Mbeumo after the Brentford man had slipped the off-side and threatened to race clear.

West Ham were dealt a blow when Kurt Zouma limped out of the action, rec=placed by Issa Diop. The former Chelsea man is now a doubt for Thursday’s Europa League quarter-final second-leg in Lyon. 

Mbeumo was wayward as Brentford continued to appear the more likely. In first-half stoppage-time, Vladimir Coufal’s headed clearance landed on top of the rigging – the backpedalling Fabianski, left relieved as the danger came to nothing.

But three minutes after the restart Brentford took the lead. Mbeumo finally took his chance, sweeping right-footed beyond Fabianski with an angled attempt from fifteen yards.

Fabianski flew from his goal to save at the feet of Yoane Wissa as Brentford threatened to double their advantage. As it transpired they didn’t have to wait too long. Toney was on-hand to nod home from close range after Mbeumo had picked him out with a cushioned delivery. 

That man Mbeumo somehow missed the target from eight yards, while Craig Dawson’s timely interception denied Wissa another sight of goal. Any thoughts of a Hammers recovery had long since departed. Substitute, Sergi Canós almost icing the cake – Fabiaski clinging to his speculative attempt following Raya’s pinpoint ball forward.

Said Benrahma was a whisker away from a goal on his return to West London. Nevertheless, his former employers finished worthy winners, leaving the Hammers rueing a missed opportunity to close the gap on the top five.  

West Ham United now turn their attention to the UEFA Europa League where they face Olympic Lyonnais in a quarter-final second leg tie at the Groupama Stadium on Thursday, April 14 (8pm).

The Hammers return to Premier League action on Sunday 17 when Burnley visit the London Stadium (2pm).

Brentford: Raya, Ajer (Roerslev 83′), Pinnock, Zanka, Henry, Nørgaard (Capt), Janelt (Jensen 70′), Mbeumo (Canós 78′), Eriksen, Wissa, Toney Subs not used: Fernández (GK), Ghoddos, Jeanvier, Fosu, Baptiste, Sørensen

Booked: None

Goals: Brian Mbeumo 48′, Ivan Toney 63′

West Ham United: Fabiański, Coufal, Dawson, Zouma (Diop 28′), Cresswell, Rice (Capt), Souček, Bowen, Lanzini (Benrahma 58′), Fornals, Antonio (Vlašić 66′) Subs not used: Areola (GK), Fredericks, Masuaku, Noble, Král, Yarmolenko

Booked: Michail Antonio (foul)

Goals: None

Referee: Martin Atkinson

Assistants: Lee Betts and Constantine Hatzidakis

Fourth Official: Simon Hooper

VAR: Lee Mason

Assistant VAR: Darren Cann

Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]