Haringey Borough’s FA Cup tie abandoned after reports of racism

Brian Jeeves

Emirates FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round

HARINGEY BOROUGH’S Emirates FA Cup fourth qualifying round tie with Yeovil Town was abandoned after the home side left the field amidst allegations of racial abuse from a small section of the crowd.

Borough Manager, Tom Loizou, took the decision after his Cameroonian goalkeeper, Valery Douglas Pajetat, was spat at and reportedly hit by an object thrown from the Yeovil section of the crowd. Borough defender, Coby Rowe, was also allegedly subjected to abuse.

The incident at Coles Park Stadium occurred following the award of a penalty to the visitors midway through the second half. Following a long delay, Rhys Murphy dispatched the spot-kick. However, soon after, play was suspended with an announcement made that the tie had been abandoned half an hour later. 

Both the Football Association and Metropolitan Police have launched an enquiry which Avon and Somerset Police have confirmed they will be assisting with. 

A post on Haringey Borough’s official Twitter page following the abandonment explained: “Sorry for the late update but wanted to make sure we gave correct information.

“Game has been abandoned following racial abuse. Horrendous afternoon. 

“It must be said that 99.9% of Yeovil Town fans are also disgusted by what’s happened as much as we are.

“One club, one community.”

Meanwhile, Yeovil posted on their won club website, “Yeovil Town FC will be cooperating with the authorities and our friends at Haringey Borough FC regarding events leading up to today’s fixture not being completed.

“We are aware that there are allegations that racist comments were made in the crowd and this allegation will be a key part of any investigation. Irrespective of the outcome of any investigations, we would like to make it clear that the club will not accept racism or discrimination in any form.

“The club will be making no further comment until the current investigations are completed.”

Elsewhere in the Emirates FA Cup, an altogether more pleasant story from Sutton United. Visitors, Billericay Town trailed in stoppage-time thanks to Omar Bugiel’s early close-range finish. However, with time running out, Blues goalkeeper, Alan Julian, was sent forward and incredibly headed an equaliser, setting up a replay at the Steel Team Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Maldon & Tiptree historically progressed into the first round proper of the competition. An own-goal from Braithwait coupled with strikes from Danny Parish and Jorome Slew earned the Jammers a 3-1 success at Royston Town. Meanwhile, both Bowers & Pitsea and Dagenham & Redbridge were beaten. Bowers went down by the odd goal in three to Chichester City in front of a bumper 531 crowd at the Len Salmon Stadium – Max Cornhill with a late consolation for the home side. The Daggers surprisingly went down by the same margin at Carshalton Athletic – Reece Grant finding the net for Dagenham either side of decisive goals from Bobby Price and Ricky Korboa for the home side.

Vanarama National League South

Chelmsford City picked up three priceless points on the road following a dramatic last-gasp victory at Tonbridge Angels. 

The Clarets trailed by a Da Costa goal to nil heading into stoppage-time. However, Chris Whelpdale restored parity before Shaun Jeffers incredibly won it in the nick of time.

It proved to be a frustrating afternoon for Concord Rangers who went down by two unanswered goals to Hungerford Town at the Aspect Arena.

BetVictor Isthmian League Premier Division

It proved to be a tough afternoon for the regions Isthmian Premier sides. Hornchurch went down 2-1 at Leatherhead – Charlie Stimson on target for the Urchins. Brightlingsea Regent also suffered a defeat. The North Essex side losing 3-0 at Worthing.

BetVictor Isthmian League North Division

Grays Athletic missed an opportunity to close the gap with a 3-1 defeat at Great Wakering Rovers. 

Jake Gordon, Jon Benton and Jack Stevenson found the net to enhance the Burroughs Park clubs own promotion aspirations – Joao Carlos pulling one back from the spot in the final minute for Grays.

Tyler Brampton and Robert Harvey were Coggeshall Town’s marksman in a 2-1 success at Aveley – George Sykes with the Millers reply. 

Meanwhile, Heybridge Swifts eased to a 4-1 win over Maldon Town. Alex Teniola (2,1 penalty), Emmanuel Osei-Owusu and Matthew Price for the Swifts – Scott Kemp for Maldon. Brentwood Town won 3-2 at Cambridge City thanks to goals from Andrew Freeman, Connor Hogan and Jason Williams. Romford was also amongst the goals, thrashing Histon 5-1 with Timi Babalola and Giovanni Palmer both bagging a brace, Reece Tranter adding another.

Canvey Island enjoyed a narrow 2-1 derby success over Basildon United thanks Jason Hallett and a Clarke Bogardown-goal. Adam Vyse had brought the Bees level just before the half-hour mark. Elsewhere, Hullbridge Sport drew 1-1 at Dereham Town – Jamie Salmon on target for the Lower Road outfit.

Essex Senior League

Hashtag United continue to lead the way with a 1-0 success at Takeley – substitute, Joshua Osude, with the only goal of the game.

Saffron Waldon Town sit second after a 2-0 win over Cockfosters, while West Essex are still up there despite a goalless draw with St Margaretsbury. 

Stansted were the big winners of the day, hammering Sporting Bengal United by four goals to nil. Walthamstow edged out Redbridge by the odd goal in three, while there were single-goal successes for Enfield, over Southend Manor, and Hadley, against Hoddesdon Town. Tower Hamlets also picked up maximum points with a comfortable 2-0 win over Clapton.

ProKit UK Essex Olympian League

Selected highlights from the Olympian League where Bishop’s Stortford Swifts were 2-0 Premier Division winners over Springfield. 

Beacon Hill Rovers annihilated Westhamians by eleven goals to one in Division Two, while in Division Three Wakebury were 5-0 winners over Basildon Town’s second string.

Game of the day in Division Four saw Catholic United Reserves see off their Old Chelmsfordian counterparts by five goals to two. Plenty of goals in Division Five – Shoebury Town seconds and Bishop’s Stortford Swifts Reserves showing the way with a seven-goal thriller which Town won 4-3.

Essex Premier Cup

Plenty of Essex Premier Cup action with Rayleigh Town Reserves progressing with a 9-1 win over AS Rawreth. Leigh Ramblers won 6-1 at Flitch United, while Shenfield AFC hit four without reply against Herongate Athletic.

Brian Jeeves

Email: sport@yellowad.co.uk