- Ilford teenager who sprayed acid in 17-year-old’s face jailed - 22/01/2022
- Woman dies in Abridge collision - 21/01/2022
- Rayleigh woman jailed for murder - 21/01/2022
Does Chelmsford City Council consult residents properly on planning issues? That is the question being posed by the council itself.
The city council wants views on an updated Statement of Community Involvement (SCI). The SCI sets out the different types of consultation and engagement carried out, how the council will involve the public when it makes new planning policy and when considering planning applications, who it will consult and the ways that will be done.
The consultation runs from 10am on Tuesday July 21 to 4pm on Tuesday August 18.
You can read and comment on the draft SCI on the council’s consultation portal at: https://consult.chelmsford.gov.uk/portal/. This is a simple way of making comments, and you can sign up to be notified about future planning policy consultations. You can also read the draft SCI at www.chelmsford.gov.uk/sci, and send your comments by email to: [email protected], by post to: Planning Policy Team, Spatial Planning Services, Chelmsford City Council, Civic Centre, Duke Street, Chelmsford, CM1 1JE, or in person Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm at the Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre, Duke Street, Chelmsford, CM1 1JE (by appointment only).
Cabinet Member for Sustainable Development, Councillor Mike Mackrory, said: “We are committed to ensuring that we involve the community, interested organisations and statutory stakeholders in planning and development matters that affect them. The Statement of Community Involvement explains how and when we will do that.”
If you would like to view the draft SCI document in person, please make an appointment before visiting, by calling 01245 606606.
If you do not have access to a computer, you can request paper copies. A charge will be made to cover printing and postage costs. If you have difficulties making representations by email or post due to a disability, please call 01245 606330 or email [email protected]
The council adopted the existing SCI in March 2016. This update:
- takes account of the adoption of the Chelmsford Local Plan in May 2020
- references how the Council’s commitments might be altered in line with government advice in exceptional circumstances
- includes a commitment to post a site notice(s) to notify neighbours and the public for every planning application – removing the need to produce and post notification letters to individual neighbours, allowing budgetary and resource savings
- covers the types of consultation activity the council will run, including greater use of social media and digital access to documents, including providing libraries with digital copies of documents rather than printed versions for easier access.
Chelmsford City Council will publish all comments on its consultation cortal in accordance with the Data Protection Act and General Data Protection Regulations and use them to inform the final SCI.
Feedback and the finalised document will be presented to full council for approval later in the year.