Huws saves the day for nine-man U’s

Colchester United v Swindon Town – Sky Bet League Two – JobServe Community Stadium – Report

Colchester United 1-1 Swindon Town

Emyr Huws fired home a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser to earn nine-man Colchester United a deserved share of the Sky Bet League Two spoils against high-flying Swindon Town on a dramatic afternoon at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Having somewhat surprisingly dispatched Salford City to end their seven-match winless league sequence, an altogether more positive environment received the U’s, keen to see Wayne Brown’s men put further daylight between themselves and the dropzone.

Interim boss, Brown named an unchanged starting line-up, with their recent signing, John Akinde handed a place amongst the substitutes.

Visitors’ Swindon, arrived in North Essex looking to enhance their promotion credentials. Harry McKirdy turned neatly but dragged wide as the Wiltshire side provided the early spark.

Colchester’s threat was minimal. Brendan Wiredu was unable to direct goalwards after Alan Judge and Freddie Sears had combined to create an opening. However, the home side went considerably closer when Swindon stopper, Jojo Wollacott was forced to turn aside Luke Hannant’s firm header after Judge had picked him out from the right.

Shamal George did remarkably well to block Josh Davison’s close-range attempt. Nevertheless, the tempo of the contest remained sluggish with neither side seemingly able to take the initiative.

McKirdy and Jordan Lynden were caught dawdling as the visitors saw reasonable opportunities passed up immediately after the restart. Meanwhile, Junior Tchamadeu was perhaps lucky to get away with a booking after appearing to catch Ellis Iandolo late close to the touchline.

But Swindon had served notice. McKirdy arrived to meet Iandolo’s superb low cross – the frontman wheeled away in delight after clipping past George from close range.

It swiftly went from bad to worse for the U’s. Goalkeeper, George, appeared to kick out at Davison. The Swindon support enraged – Referee, Mr Sarginson, brandishing a red card after consulting his far-side assistant.

The beleaguered official was given little choice when Luke Chambers – last man – clipped Jayden Mitchell-Lawson. The U’s down to nine with three minutes remaining. But Colchester, with debutant, Ted Collins taking over between the posts, hung in the game and then dramatically struck in the second minute of stoppage-time.

Substitute, Akinde flicked on an Owura Edwards corner – Huws arrived to guide home from close range sparking wild scenes amongst the enthusiastic audience.

The u’s remain third from bottom but have now opened up a seven-point gap over the Oldham Athletic and Scunthorpe United, who occupy the relegation places.

Colchester United return to Sky Bet League Two action on Tuesday, February 1 when Rochdale visit the JobServe Community Stadium (7:45pm).

Colchester United: Shamal George, Luke Chambers, Brendan Wiredu (John Akinde 66′), Luke Hannant (Owura Edwards 83′), Cole Skuse, Alan Judge (Ted Collins 74′), Freddie Sears, Tom Dallison, Myles Kenlock, Junior Tchamadeu, Emyr Huws Subs not used: Frank Nouble, Corie Andrews, Tom Eastman, Cameron Coxe

Booked: Junior Tchamadeu (foul), Luke Hannant (foul), Freddie Sears (foul)
Sent-Off: Shamal George (violent conduct), Luke Chambers (serious foul play)
Goals: Eymr Huws 90+2′

Swindon Town: Jojo Wollacott, Akin Odimayo, Ellis Iandolo, Dion Conroy, Jordan Lyden (Ben Gladwin 77′), Josh Davison, Harry McKierdy, Jake O’Brien, Jonny Williams (Ricky Aguiar 89′), Rob Hunt, Louis Reed Subs not used: Lewis Ward, Jayden Mitchell-Lawson, Ryan East, Harry Parsons, Mohammad Dabre

Booked: Jordan Lyden (foul), Dion Conroy (foul)
Goals: Harry McKirdy 68′

Referee: Christopher Sarginson
Assistants: Greg Read and Adrian Tranter
Fourth Official: Paul Yates

Attendance: 3,327 (605 from Swindon Town)


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]