Ilford man sentenced for possession and importation of stun gun disguised as a torch

A man has been sentenced for possession and importation of a stun gun – a prohibited weapon which he obtained online. It was detected in the post by the Border Force and the matter was investigated by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command.

Anthony Walker, 44, of Springfield Drive, Ilford, was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Wednesday, August 28, to two years’ imprisonment – suspended for two years.

On July 10, Walker pleaded guilty at the same court to two counts of possession of a prohibited weapon (namely stun guns disguised as torches), and two counts of the importation of a prohibited weapon with intent to evade prohibition.

Commander Richard Smith, head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said: “The Met works in partnership with other police forces and security agencies in a joined up approach to spot and challenge any suspicious behaviour or activity.

“Working with colleagues in the Border Force, who intercepted Walker’s parcel, we were alerted to his attempt to obtain a proscribed dangerous device.

“Police then acted decisively to curtail any threat he might have posed, ensuring there were no other suspects involved and no danger to Londoners.

Martin Hendy, Border Force Deputy Director of Inland Border & Aviation said: “Border Force officers at postal hubs, ports and airports across the UK are at the frontline of keeping illegal items, including offensive weapons, out of the country.

“As in this case, seizures can often be the vital first step in bringing a prosecution and we will not hesitate to share intelligence with the Met and other law enforcement agencies.”

Walker came to police attention on March 29, 2018 after the Border Force intercepted a package from China addressed to him. It contained a stun gun disguised as a torch, which he had ordered online. A search of his home address by police found that he had another such item.

Counter Terrorism Command was notified of Walker’s activity and continued the investigation. A further search of his home address was carried out as well as a search on two vehicles belonging to him.

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018, Walker voluntarily attended an east London police station where he was arrested by Counter Terrorism detectives for possession of firearms – without intent, importation of weapons, and offensive weapons. He admitted he had imported the stun devices and was released under investigation.

Walker was later charged by postal requisition and appeared at Snaresbrook Crown on Monday, July 10, where he pleaded guilty. He was bailed to appear at the same court on August f28 or sentencing.

Any suspicious behaviour or activity can be reported via the Action Counters Terrorism (ACT) website at or alternatively, call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline in confidence on 0800 789 321.

Anthony Walker

Mick Ferris

Editor Email: