Impressive Blues make it four on the bounce

Barnet v Southend United – Vanarama National League – The Hive – Report

Barnet 0-3 Southend United

Southend United produced a dominant performance from start to finish as Barnet were soundly beaten 3-0 at The Hive in a one-sided Vanarama National League clash.

Kevin Maher’s side recorded their fourth win in as many games and their third away victory in a row. The Blues boss made just one change from the team that won 2-0 at York City with former Barnet midfielder Wes Fonguck replacing Noor Husin in the starting line-up.  

Dan Brennan made three changes from the Bees side that drew 1-1 against Chesterfield last Friday with Sam Woods, Sean Shields and Idris Kanu coming into for Dale Gorman, Marvin Armstrong and Dominic Revan.

Both teams attacked from the start and created several half chances as the game flowed from end to end and it was Nicky Kabamba who went closest to scoring in the initial stages for Barnet when his shot was well saved by Collin Andeng-Ngi.  

Southend soon began to take control of the game however with Fonguck twice going close and Callum Powell also being denied by keeper Laurie Walker before Blues pressure and it has to be said quality, was rewarded when Kacper Lopata put them 1-0 up when he tapped home Powell’s cross to score his first goal for the club just four minutes before half time.

With nearly 1,500 visiting fans loudly behind them, Blues continued to take the game to Barnet and just before the hour mark & after receiving the ball from Gus Scott-Morriss’s throw-in, Powell shrugged off the attention of the Barnet defence to shoot past Walker into the corner of the net to double the lead and record his sixth goal of the season.

Barnet almost pulled one back when Andeng-Ngi saved well from Shields with Kabamba then firing the rebound over the bar just ten minutes before the end, but any lingering hopes the Bees may have had of getting something from the game were soon ended when referee Alan Dale awarded Southend a penalty after Danny Collinge upended Bridge in the area.  

Bridge converted the spot kick himself, sending Walker the wrong way to make it 3-0 and round off yet another impressive win for the Blues.

Sadly, the evening ended on a very worrying note for Southend after late substitute Rhys Murphy, who has only recently returned to the squad following nine months out with a knee injury, went off following an aerial challenge and left the stadium on crutches.

Barnet: Walker, Collinge, Okimo, Hall (Armstrong 60’) Kabamba, Kanu, Pritchard, Wynter (Capt) Woods (Beard 60’) Shields, de Havilland Subs not used: Azaze, Flanaghan, Smith

Southend United: Andeng-Ngi, Scott-Morriss, Hobson, Kensdale, Bridge, Powell (Cosgrave 70’) Taylor, Miley (Capt) Fonguck (Husin 77’) Wreh (Murphy 84’) Lopata.  Subs not used: Lomas, Demetriou

Referee: Alan Dale

Assistant Referees: Alex Mathieson and James Hurst

Fourth Official: Fadi Mansour

Attendance: 2,704 (1,446 from Southend United)