Impressive Daggers hold Hammers to warm up draw

Dagenham & Redbridge v West Ham United – Pre-Season Friendly Match – The Chigwell Construction Stadium – Report

Dagenham & Redbridge 2-2 West Ham United 

Spirited Vanarama National League outfit Dagenham & Redbridge twice came from behind to hold a strong West Ham United side to an entertaining draw at a sold-out Chigwell Construction Stadium.

While the Hammers had recently returned from a pre-season tour in Australia, Dagenham’s build-up had taken them to the altogether more humble surroundings of Aveley, Romford and Hornchurch. Nevertheless, the non-league side matched their more illustrious neighbours blow for blow in what proved to be a competitive pre-season friendly fixture. 

Maxwel Cornet swept the Hammers ahead in the eleventh minute, this after Said Benrahma had teased the Daggers’ retreating backline and fashioned an opening. 

Lewis Orford’s attempt grazed an upright as West Ham searched for a second. However, the Daggers were on terms midway through the opening period when Inih Effiong superbly thumped, right-footed, beyond a stranded Alphonse Areola and high into the Hammers net.

Only minutes before, Effiong had fired wide, while soon after, Sam Ling drilled into Areola’s midriff as the home side enjoyed their best spell of the game.

Indeed, the non-leaguers almost forged ahead on the cusp of the interval when Lewis Page, one of the several trialists in their ranks, clipped the frame of the goal with a curling dead-ball attempt.

David Moyes made four changes ahead of the second half with Vladimir Coufal, Oliver Scarles, Lewis Orford and Callum Marshall replaced by Divin Mubama, Freddie Potts, Regan Clayton and Kaelen Casey. It took just six second-half minutes for Mubama to make his mark. The talented frontman slotted home from close range after Cornet teed him up after picking the pocket of Daggers defender Elliot Johnson.

Benrahma thumped the underside of the bar as West Ham began to show their Premier League credentials. Meanwhile, Josh Hare nodded into the side-netting and provided a timely reminder that the Daggers weren’t prepared to throw in the towel.

 Daggers goalkeeper, and new club captain Elliot Justham, produced a terrific double save to prevent George Earthy and then Gideon Kodua from extending the Hammers’ lead. Within minutes, the home side restored parity for a second time. Substitute Sydney Ibie converted from the penalty spot after a clumsy challenge from Luizao on the Dutch-born striker.

Dagenham & Redbridge return to action on Tuesday, July 25 when Leyton Orient visit the Chigwell Construction Stadium (7:45pm). Meanwhile, West Ham United face Stade Rennais at Roazhon Park on Saturday July, 28 (5pm).

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham (Capt), Hare, Longe-King, Eastman (Phipps 63′), Johnson, Ling (Trialist C 68′), Hessenthaler (Trialist B 63′), Rees (Blair 75′), Vincent, Trialist A (Weston 75′), Effiong (Ibie 63′)

West Ham United: Areola, Coufal (Casey 46′), Aguerd (Luizão 63′), Kehrer (Laing 56′), Scarles (Clayton 46′), Swyer (Earthy 71′), Souček (Capt) (Forson 63′), Orford (Potts 46′), Benrahma (Kodua 63′), Cornet (Chesters 63′), Marshall (Mubama 46′) Subs not used: Anang (GK)

Referee: Morgan Conn


Brian Jeeves