Impressive O’s see off Cheltenham at a canter

Leyton Orient v Cheltenham Town – Sky Bet League One – Gaughan Group Stadium – Report

Leyton Orient 3-1 Cheltenham Town

Ethan Galbraith, Ollie O’Neill and Ruel Sotiriou were all on target as Leyton Orient took the points in the 3-1 defeat of relegation-threatened Cheltenham Town at the Gaughan Group Stadium.

Richie Wellens made three changes to the O’s starting line-up following the 2-1 home loss to Peterborough United on Easter Monday with Zech Obiero, Sotiriou and Khayon Edwards replacing Jordan Sweeney, Daniel Adu-Adjei and Shaq Forde.

O’s took the lead just after the half-hour mark when after picking up George Moncur’s pass on the edge of the box, Northern Ireland international Galbraith switched the ball onto his right foot before spectacularly firing high into the top corner of the net from twenty-five yards out.   

With the Robins failing to register a shot on target throughout the entire first half, Leyton Orient went 2-0 up in the forty-fourth minute after the ever-dangerous O’Neill jinked inside from the left to powerfully rifle the ball into the far corner from distance.

The visitors had a great chance to pull one back following the resumption after O’s keeper Sol Brynn dropped the ball at the feet of Curtis Davies, only for the veteran centre-back to skew the ball wide of the post from close range.

Five minutes before the end, Sotiriou’s twenty-yard thunderbolt beat keeper Luke Southwood all ends up to make it 3-0, before deep into stoppage time – and with the final kick of the afternoon – Joe Nuttall bundled home a late consolation effort for Cheltenham.

The 3-1 win keeps O’s in tenth place and they return to Sky Bet League One action on Tuesday evening when Exeter City are the visitors to the Gaughan Group Stadium (7.45pm).

Leyton Orient: Brynn, Galbraith, Beckles (Capt.) (Simpson 62′) Cooper, James, Obiero (Hunt 78′) Brown, Sotiriou, Moncur (Sanders 77′) O’Neill (Forde 70′) Edwards (Agyei 70′) Subs not used: Pigott, Howes

Cheltenham Town: Southwood, Smith, Davies, Freestone (Thomas 45′), Pett, Long, Sercombe, Kinsella, Ferry, Keena (Nuttall 61′), Lloyd (Harrop 68′) Subs not used: Williams, Bradbury, Pardington, Bonds

Referee: Simon Mather

Assistants: Adrian Tranter and Sam Ogles

Fourth Official: Daniel D’Urso