Kane ends Tottenham’s four-match winless sequence

Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace – Premier League – Tottenham Hotspur Stadium – Report

Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Crystal Palace

Spurs ended a four-match winless run with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace after Harry Kane headed home Pedro Porro’s cross in first-half stoppage time for what proved to be the only goal of the match. 

It was Kane’s 209th goal in the Premier League, a total that now sees him move past Wayne Rooney to become the outright second-highest goal scorer in the history of the competition – behind Alan Shearer with 260.

Acting head coach Ryan Mason made three changes to the Spurs side that lost 4-3 at Liverpool last week, with Emerson Royal, Clement Lenglet and Richarlison coming into the starting line-up in place of Eric Dier, Ivan Perisic and Dejan Kulusevski – all of whom dropped to the bench.

Roy Hodgson named an unchanged team – keeping faith with the same side that defeated West Ham 4-3 at Selhurst Park last Saturday.

With the national anthem being played before the start to mark King Charles III’s Coronation today, the game kicked off in a buoyant atmosphere. 

Despite some smart, interchanging passes by both sides, neither was able to create any real chances in the opening stages before in the fourteenth minute, Spurs lost possession in the centre circle and Eze played a quick through ball to open up a gap for Palace, only for Lenglet to get back and put the ball behind for a corner.

Spurs went close to opening the scoring almost immediately after when Cristian Romero got his head onto the end of Pedro Porro’s perfectly delivered corner but despite beating Sam Johnstone, the ball rebounded back off the crossbar to safety.

Just short of the half-hour mark, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg skipped over a challenge from central midfield before finding captain Kane, to play a quick return ball back to him inside the box – only for the Dane to fire high over the Palace bar.

Palace’s first real chance of the game came minutes after when Eberechi Eze’s twenty-five-yard free kick was blocked by the defensive wall before the ball was worked wide to Michael Olise just inside the box before his low shot was well saved low to the right by Fraser Forster.

In the thirty-ninth minute, Heung-Min Son received the ball from the right to find himself free in the middle of the area, only to be shrugged off the ball by Joachim Andersen. Referee Darren England was completely unmoved by Spurs appeals for a penalty, however, play was waved on.

Spurs went 1-0 up one minute into stoppage time when after Kane played the ball out to Porro on the right, the Spanish winger’s cross was met at the far post by Kane, who after losing his marker, nodded the ball home at the far post for his twenty-sixth goal of the season.   

Just five minutes after the break, after a driving move from the Palace midfield, the ball found its way out to Olise on the right flank, before beating his man and putting in a cross for Wilfried Zaha at the far post – only for the dual England and Ivory Coast international to lift a floating effort well over the bar.

Just after the hour mark, the ball was played through by Ben Davies to the ever-dangerous Porro on the right, who after finding himself in space and taking a touch, hit a dipping shot that despite taking a deflection off Guehi, Johnstone managed to tip safely over the bar at full stretch. 

Spurs had a great chance to double their lead in the seventy-sixth minute when a long pass out of defence by Romero was well controlled by Son to run clear of the Palace defence and take the ball around Johnstone – only for the keeper to get a slight touch and deflect the ball away for a corner.

With the Eagles pushing forward in search of an equaliser, just shortly before the end, Olise’s free-kick was rolled across the face of the goal by Andersen at the far post, only for Kane, helping out in defence, to clear to safety.

Tempers began to spill over in the five added minutes of stoppage time with numerous fouls and three yellow cards being shown – to Zaha, Andersen and Forster – but despite Palace having a couple of half chances at the end, Tottenham’s defence held firm to deservedly take the three points.  

Spurs travel to Villa Park to play Aston Villa next Saturday, May 13, whilst Crystal Palace host Bournemouth at Selhurst Park on the same day (3pm).

Tottenham Hotspur: Forster, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Son (Danjuma 89’) Richarlison (Kulusevski 79’) Kane (Capt) Emerson Royal, Romero, Porro, Davies, Lenglet (Dier 88’) Subs not used: Austin (GK) Sanchez, Perisic, Moura, Sarr, Bissouma

Crystal Palace: Johnstone, Ward, Mitchell, Guehi, Olise, Ayew (Edouard 84’) Eze, Zaha (Capt) Schlupp (Hughes 74’) Andersen, Doucoure  Subs not used: Guaita (GK) Milivojevic, Lokonga, Meteta, Clyne, Richards, Riedewald

Referee: Darren England

Assistants: Dan Cook and Constantine Hatzidakis

Fourth Official: Robert Jones

Attendance: 61,093