Knott on the spot as Bowers make comfortable FA Cup progress

Emirates FA Cup round-up

Billy Knott netted twice from the penalty spot as Bowers & Pitsea eased to a 5-1 Emirates FA Cup preliminary round victory over Barton Rovers at the Len Salmon Stadium.

Bowers led by two unanswered goals from Dan Trendall and Quentin Monville at the break before Knott double was followed by a late Kamal De Bourg strike.

A crowd of 216 were at Park Lane to witness Canvey Island progress at the expense of Ware – the Gulls winning thanks to an own goal midway through the opening period followed up after the break by a Tobi Joseph effort.

Goals from Nnamdi Nwachuku and Jack Simmons ensured Coggeshall Town a place in the hat following a 2-0 success over Tilbury. Meanwhile, Grays Athletic edged out Witham Town – an unfortunate own-goal in the final minute from Nathan Okoye proving decisive.

Sam Bantick snatched the only goal as Brentwood Town won at FC Romania. Christian Adu Gyamfi netted twice, while Ruaridh Kay was also on target as Harlow Town won their tie with Sporting Bengal United by three unanswered goals. At Hertingfordbury Park an Aaron William-Bushell goal on the hour sent Maldon & Tiptree through against Hertford Town.

St Margaretsbury won their all-Essex Senior League tie at Sawbridgeworth Town 3-1, while Stansted proved too strong for Basildon United – The Airportmen winning by two goals to nil.

Walthamstow required a penalty shootout to see off Cockfosters after their tie had finished 1-1 – Stow progressing 3-2 from twelve yards. Another side similarly going through were Hadley, who won an extraordinary shoot out with FC Clacton 10-9 after another 1-1 draw.

A decent crowd turned up at Burroughs Park for Great Wakering Rovers tie with Brantham Athletic. However, they were to trudge home largely frustrated after Johnny Lee’s second-half goal put pay to the villagers’ cup hopes.

West Essex were on the wrong end of a 5-1 hammering at New Salamis in a game played on Friday evening. Meanwhile, Halstead Town endured a cup calamity as hosts Leiston score five unanswered goals.

Waltham Abbey Woodford Town went down by a goal to nil at Waltham Abbey. Saffron Walden Town slipped out of the competition, losing 2-0 at
Welwyn Garden City.


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]