Labouring O’s pay the penalty

Brian Jeeves

Leyton Orient 2-3 Grimsby Town

Leyton Orient’s wretched Sky Bet League Two run continued as Grimsby Town claimed the spoils at the Breyer Group Stadium thanks to a last-gasp Montel Gibson spot-kick.

Without a domestic win since the opening day, serious question marks are beginning to rise over the O’s League Two credentials. And yet the afternoon had got off to a flyer for the East Londoners. Cypriot under 21 international, Ruel Sotiriou sent Conor Wilkinson clear – the former Dagenham & Redbridge man intern beating James McKeown with an emphatic left-footed finish.

But a lack of basic discipline and concentration proved costly as Orient floundered, allowing the visitors to turn the contest on its head just after the half-hour mark.

Firstly, Luke Waterfall’s header found the net following a George Williams flag-kick – O’s stopper, Lawrence Vigouroux perhaps left disappointed with his role in the Mariners leveller?

Then Williams provided the finish, latching onto Owen Windsor’s sublime reverse – Orient’s basic defensive frailties left ruthlessly exposed with minimum simplicity.

Harry Clifton was off target, while Windsor fired directly at Vigouroux as Grimsby looked to put the game to bed shortly after the restart – Orient, appearing laboured and flat, a far cry from their explosive start to the match.

Indeed, it was Grimsby possessing greater quality. Mattie Pollock nodded against the foot of an upright following a deep free-kick. However, having offered very little in the way of an attacking threat, it was Orient who sprung back into life.

Substitute, Jordan Maguire-Drew, shifted onto his left foot before drilling an angled strike into the far corner of the net with the O’s first clearcut opportunity of the half.

The Mariners attempted to regain the momentum. Pollock headed against the face of the woodwork after Terry Taylor had picked him out, And in stoppage-time, they reestablished their earlier advantage.

Craig Clay’s attempts to thwart Clifton was clumsy – Gibson converting the resulting spot-kick with aplomb to seal the points.

Orient were left livid when Pollock appeared to handle – referee, Tom Nield ignoring their desperate appeals for a penalty of their own.

Leyton Orient return to Sky Bet League Two action on Tuesday, October 20 when they take on Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park (7:45pm).

Leyton Orient: Lawrence Vigouroux, Ouss Cisse, Dan Happe (Capt), Craig Clay, Conor Wilkinson (Jordan Maguire-Drew 62’), James Brophy, Olatunji Akinola, Ruel Sotiriou, James Turley (Jobi McAnuff 67’), Danny Johnson, Josh Wright Subs not used: Sam Sargeant (GK), Sam Ling, Joe Widdowson, Josh Coulson, James Drayton

Booked: Josh Wright (foul), Jordan Maguire-Drew (foul), Craig Clay (foul)
Goals: Conor Wilkinson 5’, Jordan Maguire-Drew 74’

Grimsby Town: James McKeown, Luke Hendrie, Danny Preston, Danny Rose (James Morton 46’), Luke Waterfall, Matt Green (Owura Edwards 62’), Owen Windsor, George Williams (Montel Gibson 69’), Harry Clifton, Mattie Pollock, Terry Taylor Subs not used: Ollie Battersby (GK), James Tilley, Joe Starbuck, Duncan Idehen

Booked: Harry Clifton (foul)
Goals: Luke Waterfall 22’, Owen Williams 32’, Montel Gibson (penalty) 90+1′

Referee: Tom Nield
Assistants: Ryan Whitaker and Gareth Viccars
Fourth Official: Michael Chard


Brian Jeeves