Leyton Orient lose it at the last

Dave Bishop
Latest posts by Dave Bishop (see all)

Barnsley 2 Leyton Orient 1

Two dramatic late goals from Adam Phillips saw ten-man Barnsley overcome in-form Leyton Orient 2-1 at Oakwell – despite having Luca Connell dismissed in the 89th minute.

It was ninth-placed Orient’s first loss in nine matches, with the win ensuring Barnsley remain fourth in the table and only four points off the automatic promotion places.

Richie Wellens made two changes following Tuesday evening’s 1-0 win at Port Vale with Omar Beckles and Ollie O’Neill replacing Brandon Cooper and Theo Archibald in the starting line-up.

O’s took the lead on the ten-minute mark when George Moncur ghosted past Jordan Williams to play in Ruel Sotiriou to power home past Liam Roberts and make it 1-0.

Despite Barnsley pushing forward and looking dangerous on the ball, Sol Brynn’s inspired performance kept the Tykes at bay, with the Middlesbrough loanee denying Devante Cole twice and Herbie Kane early on.

In the final minute of first half stoppage time, Brynn again had to be on his mettle to push away a good effort from Nicky Cadden to ensure that the East Londoners maintained their lead going in at the break.

With Barnsley still dominating play after the resumption, Brynn continued to defy the odds against their constant attacking pressure – saving well from Sam Cosgrove in the 66th minute then Cole once more just after, however with just two minutes remaining, O’s resistance was finally broken when following Mael De Gevigney’s long ball, Phillips headed home to put the Tykes back on level terms.

Despite Connell being shown a second yellow card following the goal celebrations, deep into stoppage time Phillips turned in Corey O’Keefe’s free kick for his second goal of the match to fire the Tykes to a late but ultimately deserved victory.

Next up for Leyton Orient in Sky Bet League One is the visit of Northampton Town to the Gaughan Group Stadium on Tuesday (7.45pm)

Barnsley: Roberts, Williams, de Gevigney, Earl, Connell, Cotter (O’Keeffe 57′) Phillips, Kane (Cosgrove 63′) Cadden, McAtee (Grant 81′) Cole. Subs not used: Russell, Pines, Marsh, Killip

Leyton Orient: Brynn, Galbraith, Beckles, Happe (Cooper 14′) James, Brown, El Mizouni, Forde (Pratley 63′) Moncur (Hunt 63′), O’Neill, Sotiriou (Pigott 53′) Subs not used: Howes, Pratley, Adu-Adjei, Edwards.

Referee: Ross Joyce

Assistants: Alex Gray, Paul Newhouse

Fourth Official: Bradley Hall

Attendance: 12,370