Men sentenced following fatal collision in Warley

Two men have been jailed after a teenager was killed in a collision with a stolen car in Warley.

Jack Madel and Tommy Wilson were in a Ford Kuga that had been stolen from outside Stock Brook Manor Country Club in Billericay the day before the crash in Warley on September 18 last year..

Madel was driving the car at speed in Hartswood Road, whilst under the influence of a controlled drug, and went through a red light at temporary traffic lights at the junction with St John’s Road.

The Kuga collided with a Mercedes that was travelling in the opposite direction and in the process of turning into St John’s Road.

KILLED: James Esah

At the same time, James Esah, 17, was walking near the junction, on his way home from work.

Madel lost control of the Kuga and mounted the path. The car struck James, then collided with a brick wall and a parked car, before rolling onto its roof.

The Kuga rolled over the leg of an engineer, causing minor injuries, whilst narrowly missing two others, who had been working to install cables under the pavement nearby.

Both Madel and Wilson ran from the scene but were stopped and detained by members of the public before police arrived.

Wilson was taken to hospital with a broken neck.

James was taken to hospital but died on September 24.

Madel, 28, of no fixed address, admitted causing death by dangerous driving at Basildon Crown Court on October 15 last year.

He denied possession with intent to supply class A drugs and was found not guilty following a trial, which ended today, Friday August 13.

Wilson, also 28, of no fixed abode, denied aggravated vehicle taking but was convicted following the trial.

He had previously admitted possession with intent to supply class A drugs.

Madel was jailed for nine years and Wilson was jailed for six years and four months.

Inspector Mark Fraser, of the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “This was a horrifying incident and I speak on behalf of all my colleagues when I say that our heartfelt sympathies are with James’s family, who have suffered such an unimaginable loss.

“I would like to thank members of the public for trying to help James, and for their assistance in ensuring Madel didn’t leave the scene.

“What they witnessed that day must have been horrendous.

“The loss of one life is one too many, and more people could so easily have been seriously injured or killed.

“Madel did not consider the consequences of his actions, and in driving dangerously and recklessly, he caused devastation for innocent people within seconds.

“While nothing will bring James back, I hope today’s convictions and sentences will give his family some comfort that the person responsible for his death is behind bars.”

The wrecked Ford Kuga

Mick Ferris

Editor Email: