- Council leader calls on government to back Barking - 11/05/2022
- New plans for huge new Barking village approved - 28/04/2022
- New housing estate approved for Barking - 27/04/2022
East London has been “deceived” by the decision to axe Beam Park Station, an MP has said.
Hundreds of people bought new homes worth around £400,000 in the area with the promise of a new railway station to ease the travel time for commuters.
But they have been left disappointed after the government announced it would now not go ahead.
The new stop would have connected residents to central London via the C2C line.
Residents of the huge new town said that they had expected the train station to be open 12 months after they moved in based on what they had been told by the developers and the Greater London Authority (GLA).
However, the Department for Transport announced last year that it would not support building the newest addition to the Tube map.
Area MPs and the GLA argued the government had “deceived” Beam Park residents, but the DfT argued that it had never committed to building the station.
Dagenham and Rainham Labour MP Jon Cruddas condemned the decision not to go ahead with the station in a debate in Westminster Hall on January 11.
He said: “It’s essential to make good on countless promises made over many years to local residents who have bought homes there and feel their homes and now fast-depreciating.
“They feel they’ve been deceived.
“Beam Park station is an example of how not to do regeneration and how to maximise cynicism and anger in local communities as people feel manipulated and exploited by the planning system.
“I am angry and frustrated at the reckless decision-making at the heart of this project – it is an appalling state of affairs.”
Cllr Rodwell added that the government should review the decision to shelve Beam Park Station and move ahead with the plan.
Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell, who represents neighbouring Romford, agreed.
He said: “People have invested a lot of their own money in purchasing properties.
“They’re buying properties in this area on the basis that they believed that there would be transport links into central London for their jobs.
“It simply isn’t fair to the people who have made that commitment to live in that area knowing there’s going to be a station – and that station’s going to be taken away.”
Transport minister Wendy Morton defended the government, arguing that the DfT had never committed to building the station and so had not withdrawn support.
The GLA previously offered to match the government £10 million towards the scheme, with the Mayor’s office supporting the scheme.
Wendy Morton said: “Let me to take this opportunity to clarify that the department has not withdrawn support from the station, but that support was never given in the first place.
“If the GLA is satisfied the new station presents value for money and that it is an acceptable use of public funds.
“The department’s position is to look for a commitment to hold the department immune from any financial risks we believe the new station presents.”
The Department for Transport was contacted for further comment.