Nearly 3,000 Redbridge pupils get their first choice place for secondary school

Mick Ferris
Latest posts by Mick Ferris (see all)

More families than ever before will be sending their children to their first choice secondary school in Redbridge.

This year, 2,830 children got into their first-choice school, which includes those children automatically transferring into Year 7 at the four all-through schools in the borough.

Some 87.10 per cent of children received one of their top three choices.

The data was released on National Offer Day for Secondary Schools by the Pan London Admissions Board, the body with overall responsibility for the co-ordination of school admissions across the capital.

In Redbridge overall, 92.16 per cent of pupils have gained a place at one of their chosen secondary schools.

All those not given a school of their preference have been offered alternative places in Redbridge schools.

Leader of Redbridge Council, Cllr Jas Athwal said: “With first-class teaching and 95 per cent of local schools rated either good or outstanding by Ofsted, school places in Redbridge are in high demand and I’m delighted that so many pupils have been granted their first choice secondary school.

“Our schools continue to provide excellent education, setting our children up for success in all their future endeavours.”

Cllr Elaine Norman, Cabinet Member for Children and Young People said: “Even though demand for places is higher than ever before I’m really pleased we’ve been able to offer more pupils their first choice secondary school.

“We’ve worked extremely hard to accommodate families’ preferences with the number of children given one of the schools requested higher than last year. Whichever preference they received, I wish all Redbridge children the best of luck as they prepare to take the next step in their education in September.”

All families are encouraged to look at the options open to them as alternative places can become available if families change their minds or relocate.

Parents must respond to the offer they have received by March 15.

Advertisement

Mick Ferris

Editor Email: mickferris@yellowad.co.uk