Non-League Round-Up…

Vanarama National League

A third-minute strike by Hull City loanee Henry Sandat and two late goals by Gus Scott-Morriss saw Southend United through to a 3-0 victory over FC Halifax Town at Roots Hall. Despite the win, Kevin Maher’s side dropped to fifteenth place in the table – four points above the relegation zone.    

Vanarama National League North

Bishop’s Stortford’s relegation worries continue to increase following their 3-1 defeat to Blyth Spartans at the RDA Stadium. 

Amadou Kassarate put Blues 1-0 up after ten minutes before Sunderland loanee Harry Gardiner (2) and substitute JJ Hooper netted for Spartans to secure the points.   

Vanarama National League South

Braintree Town returned to winning ways following back-to-back 3-0 defeats to Chelmsford City over the festive period, with a 3-1 win over second place Hampton & Richmond at the Rare Breed Meat Co. Stadium. 

Joshua Anifowose had earlier given the visitors the lead in the seventeenth minute only for Matt Ward to make it 1-1 just after the half-hour mark – before former Spurs and Southend United striker Shaq Coulthirst netted twice to seal the points for the Iron.

Two goals in the first fifteen minutes by Nana Kyei set Aveley on the road to a 3-1 victory at Welling United. Charlee Hughes put the Millers 3-0 up in first-half stoppage time before Kain Adom pulled one back for the Wings from the spot in the sixty-second minute.

Chelmsford City moved up into third place after a 3-2 win – their fourth victory in as many games – at fellow promotion chasers Worthing. Freddie Hockey got Clarets off to a flying start, putting them 1-0 up in the opening minute before Charlie Ruff doubled the lead just after the quarter of an hour mark. Ollie Pearce pulled one back in the twenty-sixth minute before Jermaine Francis made it 3-1 to Chelmsford.  

Vanarama National League South leading scorer Pearce netted again – his eighteenth of the season – with the final kick of the match. 

Pitching-In Isthmian League Premier Division

League leaders Hornchurch drew 1-1 with ten-man Horsham at Bridge Avenue but the main talking point following the game was the announcement by boss Steve Morison to the fans in the clubhouse, that he had resigned to take over as manager of Sky Bet League Two strugglers Sutton United. 

Liam Nash’s curling free kick on the half-hour put Urchins 1-0 up before Harvey Sparks’ thirty-yard strike made it 1-1 just after half-time. 

Horsham had Jack Brivio sent off following two yellow cards.    

Billericay Town moved up into third place following a 3-1 win at Kingstonian. Second-half goals by George Wind, Moses Emmanuel and skipper Matt Johnson put Billericay 3-0 up before Eddie D’Sane netted from the spot in the seventy-sixth minute. 

Second from bottom, Haringey Borough sealed their first home win of the season – a 2-1 victory over Canvey Island at Coles Park. 

The Gulls took the lead just after the start when Elliott Ronto headed home Aveley loanee Kai Brown’s cross. Boro’s Mekhi McLeod made it 1-1 with three minutes left before Georgious Aresti netted the winner for the North Londoners in the final minute of the match.

In front of a bumper 3,334 crowd, substitute Josh Shonibare netted an eighty-ninth-minute winner to clinch a 2-1 victory over Hashtag United at Champion Hill. Earlier, Ryley Scott put Hamlet one up just after half-time before Max Cornhill nodded home in the seventy-seventh minute to put Tags back on level terms.    

Pitching-In Isthmian League North

Ben Williamson netted twice as Bowers & Pitsea overcame Witham Town 2-0 at the Len Salmon Stadium to move up to third place in the table – six points behind leaders Lowestoft Town. 

Fourth-place Heybridge Swifts shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw against Enfield at Scraley Road. Swifts took the lead shortly after half-time when Enfield defender Jack Leech turned Sam Park’s cross into his own net before Callum Taylor equalised in the sixty-second minute.  

Maldon & Tiptree moved up into the play-off spots following a 2-1 win at Ipswich Wanderers. The Jammers went 2-0 up following goals by Jayden Gipson and Shane Temple before Zach Pedro netted a late consolation for the Wanderers.

Ten-man Brightlingsea Regent, who saw substitute Kojo Apenteng dismissed following two yellow cards, went down 2-1 at the Amber Dew Events Stadium as league leaders Lowestoft Town got back to winning ways following their 3-2 home loss to Gorleston on New Year’s Day. Jake Reed and Adam Hipperson put the Trawler Boys 2-0 up before Bradley Russell netted a consolation for Regent two minutes before the end.

Brentwood Town and Felixstowe & Walton United drew a see-saw match 2-2 at the Brentwood Centre Arena. The visitors took the lead in the twelfth minute through Noel Aitkens before sub–Wyan Read and Meiki McKenzie netted to put Blues 2-1 up, only for Josh Mayhew’s seventy-four-minute equaliser to clinch a point for the Seasiders. 

Essex Senior League Premier Division

League leaders Tilbury romped to a 4-1 win at Little Oakley. Goals by Roman Campbell and Harry Donovan put the Dockers 2-0 up before Daniel Rowe pulled one back for the hosts. A second from Campbell and a fourth from Dan Trendell saw Tilbury through to the three points.

Second-placed Sporting Bengal United, despite going behind to a Lester Ward goal, romped back to smash rock-bottom Coggeshall Town 5-1 at Mile End Stadium. Christian Gyamfi, Keanu Hill, Alagai Juwara, Damilola Olusesi and Daniel Pepple all netted for Sporting Bengal.

Luke Hirst, Karl Kayembe and sub-Warren Kayembe were all on target in Barking’s 3-0 defeat of Woodford Town at the Lawtech Stadium.

Despite Darnell Broomfield’s early goal, two goals by Callum Boylan – the second deep into stoppage time at the end of the match, saw Great Wakering Rovers through to a 2-1 win at Burroughs Park.

Two late goals by sub-Harry Pinkney and Kane Gilbert earned Halstead Town a 2-1 win over White Ensign at the Millbank Stadium.

Timmy Moncur’s goal just two minutes before half-time saw Buckhurst Hill take the points in a 1-0 win at Frenford.

Saffron Walden Town snatched a late point in a 1-1 draw at Saffron Walden with Lewis Kerwen’s eighty-fifth-minute equaliser cancelling out Ellis Girling’s opener.

In the Friday night game at the Lawtech Stadium, Martin Tuohy (2) Jay Leader, Osaretin Otote and sub-Michael Dixon were all on target as Hullbridge Sports piled even further relegation pressure on Ilford with a 5-1 win.

ProKit UK Essex Olympian Football League

Mitchell Ali hit four goals as Old Southendian crushed Canning Town 7-1 at Garon Park with Nick Henesy, Callum Ludliam and Jack Mead also scoring.

Franklin Craik and Callum Matthews were the goal scorers as Catholic United ran out 2-0 winners at Bishop Stortford Swifts.

Springfield won 2-1 at Leigh Ramblers with Finlay Dorrell and Harry Kateley both on the scoresheet for the visitors, whilst Benjamin Dufaux netted for Ramblers.   

Ten-man Runwell Sports, who had Ryley Duggin sent off, drew 1-1 with Kelvedon Hatch. Sam Duileu was on target for Sports whilst Luke Skinner scored for Hatch.