Non-League Round-Up…

With sub-zero temperatures continuing to sweep the country, the majority of non-league matches involving local clubs were postponed. 

Here is a round-up of the handful of matches that survived the inclement weather and took place throughout the weekend…

Vanarama National League North

Bishop’s Stortford’s miserable season continued with a 2-0 loss at Chester as second-half goals from George Glendon and substitute Christian Norton condemned the visitors to yet a further defeat – their twenty-first of the season – leaving Blues deeply rooted to bottom spot in the table, thirteen points adrift of the safety zone.

Vanarama National League South

Aveley and Chippenham Town shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw at Parkside, with the visitors twice coming from behind to secure their point. 

Siju Odelusi, with his tenth goal of the season, put the Millers 1-0 up after seventeen minutes before Caine Bradbury equalised for Chippenham on the hour mark. Charlee Hughes restored Aveley’s lead in the sixty-seventh minute before substitute Tyreke Johnson found the bottom corner of the net with a spectacular strike twenty minutes from time for the Bluebirds leveller. 

Pitching-In Isthmian League Premier Division

Third-place Billericay Town romped to a comprehensive 5-0 win over Lewes, previously unbeaten in their last seven matches, at New Lodge with the unfortunate Jake Elliott putting through his own net twice and further goals from Moses Emmanuel, Alfie Cerulli and Frankie Merryfield. 

Despite a bright opening to the match, Haringey Borough and Folkestone Invicta played out a drab 0-0 draw at Coles Park to share the points. 

Haringey remain third from bottom, whilst sixteenth-place Invicta stretched their unbeaten run to four matches. 

Two late goals by Alex Teniola and Sak Hassan saw Hashtag United come back from a 3-1 deficit – with just twenty minutes left on the clock – to snatch a draw in 3-3 thriller against Enfield Town at the Len Salmon Stadium. 

Marcus Wylie gave the Towners the lead on the half-hour mark before Camilio Restrepo drew Hashtag level five minutes later. 

Substitute Lewis Taafe and Obi Onyeagwara both netted in the second half for the visitors before the Tags dramatically turned the game on its head to salvage a late point.      

Pitching-In Isthmian League North

In the battle between play-off contenders Heybridge Swifts and Bowers & Pitsea at Scraley Road, the spoils were shared in a 2-2 draw although Swifts will certainly be happier with the point than Bowers after Eman Nwosu saved Ben Williamson’s spot kick late on. Matt Price gave the visitors the lead after nine minutes before Swifts equalised through Sam Park just eight minutes later.

Luke Reeves made it 2-1 to Bowers on the stroke of half-time before a stunning goal from range by Ben Sartain made it 2-2 just before the hour mark.

Goals by Mekhi McKenzie and Shad Ngandu put Brentwood Town 2-0 up at half-time before Ayo Odukoya pulled one back for Redbridge just after the resumption. An own goal by Henry Day sealed the 3-1 win for Brentwood, who had Wyan Reid sent off near the end. 

Ten-man Walthamstow, who saw Adalberto Pinto dismissed in the twenty-fourth minute, came back from two goals down to grab a point in a 2-2 draw in their incident-packed ‘North Circular Derby’ against New Salamis at Wadham Lodge.  

Joe Wright and Micah Jackson put the Red-Whites 2-0 up, however Kevin Songolo pulled one back before New Salamis were also reduced to ten men when Can Arioglu was shown the red card. Despite Bilal Sayoud’s penalty miss in the seventy-fourth minute, Brian Moses Songolo equalised deep into stoppage time to round off an entertaining afternoon. 

Essex Senior League Premier Division

League leaders Tilbury extended their lead at the top of the table to four points – whilst still having three games in hand on second-place Sporting Bengal – with a 1-0 win over Romford at Rookery Hill. Samuel Carter netted for the Dockers in the fifty-fifth minute.

Despite leading going into the final stages following Idris Aminu’s sixty-eighth-minute goal, Athletic Newham saw the points snatched away from them in a most dramatic fashion when Samuel Owusu equalised for Hullbridge Sports with just two minutes left on the clock before Michael Agboola netted Sports winner deep into stoppage time.     

Barking came from behind to beat Sporting Bengal United 2-1 at Mile End Stadium. Christian Gyamfi netted just after the break for Bengal before Anthony Martin levelled and Luke Hirst scored to clinch the points for Barking with just seven minutes to go.

In the Friday game, Ilford’s poor form continued as they went down to a 6-3 defeat to Frenford at the Lawtech Stadium. Kieran David (2) Tom Troubridge (2) Dion Johnston and Kai Haysman all netted for the visitors, while Michael Dager, Mohamad Kaudeer and Quincy Warner were Ilford’s scorers.   

ProKit UK Essex Olympian Football League

In the only ProKit UK Essex Olympian League match to survive the weather, Runwell Sports emerged 2-1 winners over Springfield at Springfield Hall Park.