Non-League Round-Up…

Vanarama National League

Vanarama National League strugglers Southend United and Oxford City played out a 0-0 draw at the RAW Charging Stadium. The result which was the fourth game in succession that Blues have failed to score, leaves them now only a point above the relegation zone.   

Dagenham & Redbridge shared the points with York City in a 1-1 draw at the LNER Community Stadium. Jake Hessenthaler nodded Daggers in front in the eleventh minute before Ryan Fallowfield restored parity just before half-time. 

Vanarama National League North

Bottom-placed Bishop’s Stortford Town fell to their ninth defeat in succession with a 3-0 loss at Boston United with Jimmy Knowles, Tom Leak and Jordan Richards all netting for the Pilgrims. With the gap between Blues and safety now stretching to sixteen points, it would appear that relegation is all but certain now. 

Vanarama National League South

Despite having Alfie Pavey sent off after only twenty-five minutes, ten-man Braintree Town saw off the challenge of Torquay United to move up into the play-off spots with a fighting 1-0 win at the Rare Breeds Meat Co. Stadium – Tom Blackwell netting what proved to be the winner just before the hour mark.   

Charlee Hughes’s seventy-second-minute goal saw Aveley through to a 1-0 triumph over Hampton & Richmond Borough at the Beveree Stadium. The victory moves the Millers up to ninth – just two points outside the play-offs.   

Third-placed Chelmsford City enjoyed a fine 3-0 win at relegation-threatened Eastbourne Borough with George Alexander, Charlie Ruff and substitute Anthony Wordsworth all netting for the Clarets. 

Pitching-In Isthmian League Premier Division

Table-topping Hornchurch made it five wins in succession with Tommie Hoban, Mauro Vilhete and sub-Liam Nash all on target in a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Haringey Borough at Bridge Avenue. 

Ben Greenhalgh’s first-half hat-trick lifted Margate out of the relegation zone – their 3-2 victory over Canvey Island putting an end to an eighteen-game winless run.

Canvey, who had taken the lead through Lance Akins’ header after five minutes, pulled one back through Bradley Sach just before the hour mark to set up a grandstand finish but the Gate held on to hand manager Mark Stimson his first win since taking the helm at Hartsdown Park.  

Wingate & Finchley and Hashtag United played out a tense and physical 0-0 draw at the Maurice Rebak Stadium. The point leaves the Tags in twelfth place.

Despite taking the lead through Frankie Merryfield just before the half-hour mark, goals by Charlie Hestor-Cook and Shamir Fenelon saw Horsham through to a 2-1 win against Billericay Town at Bridge Road.

Dulwich Hamlet took the points with a 2-1 victory over struggling Concord Rangers at Thames Road. Hamlet took the lead through Ademola Shokumbi in the twenty-first minute before Mert Apat’s own goal made it two just before the hour mark.  

Debutant Kehinde Ailero pulled one back for the Beach Boys near the end, but the visitors saw out time with some ease to clinch the win.    

Pitching-In Isthmian League North

Leaders Lowestoft Town came through to take the points with a 3-1 win over ten-man Bowers & Pitsea, who had Luke Reeve sent off at the Len Salmon Stadium. Jake Reed and Harvey Sayer – from the penalty spot, put the visitors 2-0 up before sub-Matt Price pulled one back for Bowers in the seventy-ninth minute before Sayers, with his second goal of the game made it three shortly after.  

Four first-half goals saw Walthamstow overcome struggling Grays Athletic 4-0 at Chadfields with Brian Songolo Moses (2) Ryan Hervel and a Michael Finneran own goal being the difference between the sides.    

Gorleston, who went 3-0 up through goals by Ismael Fatadjo, Jacek Zielonka and Ryan Curtis, saw Maldon & Tiptree pull back two goals through Jayden Randell and George Smith before Curtis netted his second in the sixty-ninth minute to clinch a 4-2 win for the Greens.

Heybridge Swifts went down to a 2-1 defeat to in-form Brentwood Town at the Aspen Waite Arena. Jesse Olukolu gave the visitors the lead after only four minutes before Jack Adlington equalised just after the break. 

George Sykes made it 2-1 to Brentwood in the seventieth minute to clinch the win after Swifts’ Kieran Jones missed a late spot-kick.    

Redbridge and Brightlingsea Regent shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw at Oakside Stadium. After the Motormen’s Ayo Odukoya missed a penalty just before the break, they took the lead following the resumption through skipper Lewis Clarke. Kurt Smith equalised in stoppage time to secure a point for the visitors.  

Frederick King and Deese Kasinga Madia put Witham Town 2-0 up in the opening ten minutes and although Cristos Batzelis pulled one back in the seventieth minute, Town held on to beat New Salamis 2-1 at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium.   

Essex Senior League Premier Division

Tilbury extended their lead at the top of the table to eight points with a 3-1 win at bottom-placed Coggeshall Town, who saw sub-James Pugsley sent off. Roman Campbell (2) and David Knight scored for the Dockers, whilst Tayo Adedoja netted for Coggeshall.

Goals by Andrew Greenslade, Reece Simpson and Idris Aminu saw Athletic Newham through to a 3-1 victory over Sporting Bengal United.

Romford moved up to third after a thrilling 4-3 win over West Essex at Rookery Hill. Hassan Nalbant (2) Finlay Dorrell and sub-Darren Phillips, who netted the winner in the eighty-third minute, were all on target for Romford. Olamiji Ayoola, Ruben Antwi and Denzel Effah scored for the visitors.

Ryan Melaugh’s winner deep into stoppage time at the end of the match clinched the points in Saffron Walden Town’s 3-2 win over White Ensign at Catons Lane.

Anthony Martin (2) Luke Hirst and sub Bradleigh Rowland were all on target in Barking’s 4-0 win at Hullbridge Sports.

Stanway Rovers, with goals from Tom Maycock, George Okoye and Jose de la Paz, enjoyed a comfortable 3-1 win over Buckhurst Hill.

Despite Jordan Wescott giving Takeley an early lead from the penalty spot, goals from Harry Mann and Daniel Rowe saw Little Oakley through to a 2-1 victory at Little Oakley Memorial Club. 

Frenford, with goals from Harry Carter, Tyler Morgan and Tom Potter ran out 3-2 winners over FC Clacton, for whom Louie Kudiabor and Jack Mahon were the scorers. 

ProKit UK Essex Olympian Football League

Old Southendian, with George Harvey and Mattias Tonking both on target, moved to the top of the ProKit UK Essex Olympian League following their 2-1 win at Toby, for whom Sonny Leeks netted.

Bishop’s Stortford Swifts and Kelvedon Hatch played out a 0-0 draw at Silver Leys.

James Warder’s strike saw Catholic United through to a 1-0 win at Leigh Ramblers.

Sungate enjoyed a 2-1 victory at Runwell Sports, for whom Sam Dulieu netted a consolation goal.

Harry Kateley’s hat-trick and a goal from Kieran Smith saw Springfield take the points in a 4-3 win over Shenfield Association at Springfield Hall Park.