One step at a time for Blues and Waddock

Southend United 3-3 Fleetwood Town – Reaction

SOUTHEND UNITED caretaker-manager, Gary Waddock, was reasonably enthusiastic with his side after they earned their first Sky Bet League One point of the season following a topsy-turvy 3-3 draw with Fleetwood Town at Roots Hall.

This performance was a significant improvement from Southend, although defensive frailties which have surfaced regularly, particularly this season, were once again in evidence at the visitors plundered three goals of their own – taking the total to twenty conceded by the Shrimpers in just seven league outings.

Stephen McLaughlin’s free-kick had handed Southend the advantage. However, Jimmy Dunne and Josh Morris found the net to turn the match on its head in favour of Fleetwood.

Steven Humphrys levelled just after the restart, but once again, Blue found themselves behind when Kyle Dempsey headed home.

But Southend displayed the character which has clearly been missing this term. Humphrys grabbed his second and Southend’s third late in the day to salvage a share of the spoil, much to the relief of the long-suffering Roots Hall faithful.

“It’s good and it’s a start,” Waddock told
“We’ve waited a long time to get ourselves on the board and it was a very difficult game today against a good outfit, but our lads stuck with it and got the reward in the end.

“The players have put in a lot of hard work on the training ground. We had a game plan today which worked to a degree as we picked up a point, but I thought the players had a great attitude and they applied themselves correctly in very difficult conditions.”

The former Queen’s Park Rangers man continued: “They kept going and they didn’t drop their heads when we go a goal up and the opposition pegs us back and go in the lead. I’m delighted for everybody.”

Southend United return to Sky Bet League One action on Tuesday, September 17 when they take on Shrewsbury Town at the Montgomery Waters Meadow (7:45pm).

Southend United: Oxley, Bwomono, Humphrys, Cox, McLaughlin (Ndukwu 79’), Kiernan, Mantom (Capt), Lennon, Hutchinson (Goodship 58’), Blackman (Demetriou 69’). Subs not used: Bishop, Hyam, Dieng, Shaughnessy

Fleetwood Town: Gilks, Coyle, Andrew, Clarke, Burns, Dempsey, Morris (Souttar 80’), Dunne, Coutts (Capt), Rossiter (Biggins 60’), Madden (Evans 69’). Subs not used: Cairns, Hunter, Sheron, Saunders

Referee: John Busby
Assistants: Carl Fitch-Jackson and Louis Marks
Fourth Official: Ryan Atkin

Attendance: 5,236 (83 from Fleetwood)


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]