O’s bettered by ten man Maldon & Tiptree in FA Cup shock

Leyton Orient 1-2 Maldon & Tiptree

Emirates FA Cup, 1st Round

The ten-men part-timers sprung the shock of the first round proper, with Danny Parish – later to be sent-off – and Jorome Slew netting, before James Dayton hit a consolation for an under-par O’s, on Sunday.

Early Orient pressure saw Josh Wright and Matt Harrold miss presentable chances, before the part-timers grew into this contest.

Parish was denied by a superb Sam Sergeant tip-over, before Dan Happe made a vital, last-ditch block to deny the Jammers’ talisman.

In what was turning into a one-man show, Parish should have hit the target, but from the edge of the box, he sliced a good opportunity wide.

The O’s – for all their possession – struggled to break down the side from four levels and seventy seven places below and fell behind two minutes from the break.

Frontman, Charlee Hughes was allowed a clear run at goal and found Parish with a carefully weighted pass. The winger then made no mistake, shooting under Sargeant from the edge of the penalty box.

A James Brophy break soon after the turnaround saw Craig Clay fail to take his chance and it was man-of-the-match, Parish, who again tested Sargeant, as the Jammers sought to increase their deserved lead.

They didn’t have to wait long and on 65 minutes, Slew, on the break, held his nerve – shaking a couple of weak challenges – drew Sargeant and expertly curled home.

Sub., Dayton pulled one back for the O’s two minutes later, chipping the keeper, Ben McNamara, despite Laste Dombaxe’s acrobatics trying to clear.

Orient then laid siege on the Maldon goal and got a boost, six minutes from time, when Parish was shown a second yellow card, after the referee deemed that the winger had dived after a collision with O’s Dan Happe.

Sub., James Alabi went closest, seeing his close-range effort blocked, as the Isthmian league side deservedly hung on for a shock win.

Surviving six minutes stoppage time, the final whistle sparked a pitch invasion from some of the 654 joyous travelling supporters.

Leyton Orient: Sam Sergeant, Sam Ling (James Alabi 73), Josh Coulson, Dan Happe, Joe Widdowson, Jordan Maguire-Drew, Craig Clay, Josh Wright, James Brophy, Louis Dennis (James Dayton 59, replaced Dale Gorman 79), Matt Harrold. Subs (not used): Dean Brill, Marvin Ektipeta, George Marsh, Shadrach Ogie.

Maldon & Tiptree: Ben McNamara (capt), Kojo Awotwi, Rob Girdlestone, Quba Gordon (Lance Akins 68) Al-Amin Kazeem, Danny Parish (sent-off 84), Tyrique Hyde, Laste Dombaxe, Stephane Ngamvoulou, Jorome Slew (Sam Coombes 85), Charlee Hughes. Subs (not used): Luke O’Reilly, William Cracknell, Hamza Kaid, Jake Brice-Wiffin.

Referee: Charles Breakspear

Assistant Referees: Alasdair Ross, Adrian Turner

Fourth Official: Carl Fitch-Jackson

Attendance: 3,425

Rowland Lyons

Email: [email protected]