O’s hit by Brewers hangover

Leyton Orient v Burton Albion – Sky Bet League One – Gaughan Group Stadium – Report

Leyton Orient 1-2 Burton Albion

Burton Albion came from behind to take the points in a 2-1 win and ease their relegation concerns after Leyton Orient stumbled to their first home defeat since Derby County’s 3-0 victory at the Gaughan Group Stadium on December 9. 

Richie Wellens made two changes to O’s starting line-up following their 4-3 win over Northampton Town on Tuesday night, with Rob Hunt replacing Tom James, who dropped to the bench, whilst Darren Pratley took the place of suspended Jordan Brown.

Despite enjoying most of the possession and pushing forward well throughout the first half, O’s were finding great difficulty in breaking through Burton’s well-organised five-man defensive back line. 

Two minutes before half-time, O’s were finally rewarded for their persistence in attack. Following a long fluid passing movement, Shaq Forde found his way into the box before being brought to the ground by Tolaji Bola. 

Referee Paul Howard pointed immediately to the penalty spot, with former Colchester United midfielder George Moncur accepting the responsibility to step up and cooly send Brewers’ New Zealand international keeper Max Crocombe the wrong way to break the deadlock and send O’s in 1-0 up at the break.

Following the resumption, Crocombe did well to claw away Moncur’s well-struck effort from the edge of the box and with Burton finally starting to get themselves into the contest, Mark Helm fired wide from a free-kick and Ademola Ola-Adebomi was only denied a shooting opportunity following an outstanding last-ditch tackle from Ollie O’Neill.

With O’s failing to make the most of several half chances that followed, Burton got themselves back on level terms in the seventy-second minute when after Omar Beckles lost possession, Helm threaded the ball through to Bennett on the right to strike home past Sol Brynn for the equaliser.

The resurgent Brewers made it 2-1 only four minutes later when Joe Powell’s free-kick found Aristote Nsiala at the far post to beat Brynn again from five yards out for what proved to be the visitor’s winning goal.

Despite substitutes Max Sanders and Ruel Sotiriou going close in the late stages, Burton hung on to take the points and climb to seventeenth in the table, whilst O’s dropped to ninth.

Next up for Leyton Orient in Sky Bet League One is a trip to the Kassam Stadium to play Oxford United next Saturday (3pm).

Leyton Orient: Brynn, Galbraith, Beckles, Cooper, Hunt (Sweeney 81′) Pratley (Capt) (James 81′) El Mizouni, Forde, Moncur (Sotiriou 75′) O’Neill (Sanders 81′) Edwards (Adu-Adjei 75′) Subs not used: Howes, Pegrum

Burton Albion: Crocombe, Hamer, Nsiala, Brayford, Sweeney, Bola, Gilligan (Kamwa 59′) Powell, Helm (Delap 93′) Bennett (Hudlin 78′) Ola-Adebomi (Harper 78′) Subs not used: Carayol, Blackman, Hugill

Referee: Paul Howard

Assistants: Garry Maskell and Michael Chard

Fourth Official: Daniel Cook

Attendance: 7,167