O’s home run wrecked as Crawley take the points

Leyton Orient v Crawley Town – Sky Bet League Two – Breyer Group Stadium – Report

Leyton Orient 1-2 Crawley Town
Rowland Lyons at the Breyer Group Stadium

Leyton Orient’s near four-month unbeaten home run came to an end, on Saturday, as lowly Crawley deservedly claimed maximum points – courtesy of George Francomb and Kwesi Appiah strikes – sandwiching a Glenn Morris own goal.

Having survived an early Crawley onslaught, with Ashley Nadesan and Will Ferry wasting good opportunities, Orient finally managed their first on-target effort – with Harry Smith forcing former O’s regular, Morris, into a low 24th minute save.

However, the Red Devils took the lead eight minutes later when Smith was cautioned and Archie Davies’s quick free-kick caught the home defence flat-footed, Francomb smashing high into Lawrence Vigouroux’s net.

The O’s day then went from bad to worse, on 38 minutes, when the influential Tom James was forced off, after a crude Ferry challenge. His replacement, Dan Happe lost marker, Nadesan, who then wasted an excellent chance – curling wide with only Vigouroux to beat.

Content to sit on their advantage, it took a Ludwig Francilette 62nd minute slip to allow Theo Archibald a clear run at goal. His harmless-looking cross was then fumbled across Morris’s own goal line, with Aaron Drinan about to pounce.

Leyton Orient players celebrate after a Glenn Morris own-goal had levelled the score (Kieran Galvin ActionFotoSport)

However, the O’s relief was only short-lived, as Francomb lead a 66th-minute break, found Nadesan, whose cross found Appiah, at the far post, who crashed home.

The O’s never recovered and skipper, Darren Pratley’s off-target stoppage-time header was their only response.

O’s Boss, Kenny Jackett admitted: “I thought we were poor and Crawley caused us a lot of problems. They set up well and caused us a lot of problems – and worked their ‘keeper more than we worked their’s.”

He added: “We got a little fortunate – with our goal – but then gave a really poor goal away. It’s hard to win games of football and it was frustrating without [the injured] Omar Beckles.”

Crawley boss, John Yens claimed: “It was a fortunate goal for them, but it was a well-deserved victory – credit to everyone. And, the only way to win is to attack, as we’re no good at soaking up pressure.”

Leyton Orient: Lawrence Vigouroux, Tom James (Dan Happe 35′), Adam Thompson, Alex Mitchell (Matt Young 74′), Shad Ogie (Connor Wood 74′), Craig Clay, Dan Kemp, Darren Pratley (Capt), Theo Archibald, Harry Smith, Aaron Drinan Subs not used: Rhys Byrne (GK, Tyrese Omotoye, Ruel Sotiriou, Antony Papadopoulos

Crawley Town: Glenn Morris, Ludwig Francilette, Tony Craig, Joel Lynch, Archie Davies, George Francomb (Capt), Jack Powell, Will Ferry, Tom Nicholls, Kwesi Appiah (James Tilley 90′), Ashley Nadesan (Reece Greco-Cox 81′) Subs not used: Blondy Nna Noukeu (GK), Tyler Frost, Szymon Kowalczyk, Amrit Bansal-McNulty, Mark Marshall

Referee: Carl Boyeson
Assistants: Scott Williams and Louis Marks
Fourth Official: Christopher Wade

Attendance: 5,183

Brian Jeeves

Email: sport@yellowad.co.uk