O’s out as Spireites sparkle

Chesterfield v Leyton Orient – Emirates FA Cup Second Round – SMH Group Stadium – Report

Chesterfield 1-0 Leyton Orient

Idris El Mizouni’s deflected own goal was enough to send runaway Vanarama National League leaders Chesterfield into the Emirates FA Cup Third Round for the third year in a row as following the Spireites defeat of Portsmouth in the previous round, Leyton Orient became the second League One side to exit the competition at the SMH Group Stadium this season.

Paul Cook made two changes to the team who defeated Eastleigh 3-2 on Saturday, November 25 with Ryan Boot and Ryheem Sheckleford coming in for Harry Tyrer and Ryan Colclough, whilst Richie Wellens recalled Brandon Cooper and Max Sanders in place of Dan Happe and Aaron Drinan following the 1-1 draw at Bristol Rovers on Tuesday.

With volunteers from both clubs working through the night to get the pitch into playable condition following the snow and wintery conditions in and around the country, the game kicked off in fog with the Spireites taking control from the start.

Darren Oldaker’s curling effort went wide of the post early on before following a corner, Northern Ireland international Will Grigg’s back heeled effort was well saved by Sol Brynn at close range.

The Spireites went close again when Jamie Grimes got his head on the end of a corner only to be denied by Brynn again.

With the game edging towards the break, Tom James’ powerful twenty-five-yard effort – easily held by Ryan Boot – was O’s first shot of the match as Chesterfield continued to take the game to the East Londoners and the home side took the lead in the thirty-ninth minute when Ollie Banks curling cross towards goal freakishly deflected off the head O’s skipper El Mizouni – standing just on the edge of the penalty box – and over the stranded Brynn into the top right corner of the net.

Brynn kept O’s in contention after half-time with saves to deny Grimes and Armando Dobra and although George Moncur set up fellow substitute Dan Agyei with a good chance to equalise near the end – which was well saved by Boot, it was Chesterfield who deservedly progressed into the next round – when they will travel to Vicarage Road to play Sky Bet Championship side Watford in January.

Chesterfield assistant manager and former Leyton Orient boss Danny Webb spoke to BBC Radio Sheffield after the match: “The result didn’t lie today; we were the better team from start to finish. Saying that, if you asked any Chesterfield fan if they’d swap positions with Orient – out of the FA Cup but sixteenth in League One – I think we’d all take it.

“Today we can put thoughts of the league to one side and enjoy the fact that again we’re in the third round, away to Watford, and I’m really pleased for the supporters. Hopefully, we’ll take thousands down there and we can genuinely enjoy the day.

“You could say the goal was fortunate, but I thought the pressure was on and in the second half we should probably have added a couple.

“We defended really well and the crowd backed us – they gave us their support from start to finish. I’d like to think the lads repaid that faith.”

O’s return to league action on Saturday when Derby County are the visitors to E10 (3pm).

Chesterfield: Boot, Sheckleford, Palmer, Grimes (Capt) Horton (Freckleton 83’) Naylor, Oldaker (Jacobs 83’) Mandeville, Banks (Jones 74’) Dobra (Berry 83’) Grigg (Quigley 83’) Subs not used: Tyrer, Cook, King, Curtis

Leyton Orient: Brynn, Hunt, Turns, Cooper, James, Brown, El Mizouni (Capt) (Moncur 67’) Sanders (Pratley 45’) Sotiriou (Agyei 41’) Archibald (Galbraith 67’) Forde (Pigott 45’) Subs not used: Sweeney, Happe, Thompson, Howes

Referee: Scott Oldham 

Assistants: Joe Simpson and Paul Stonier

Fourth Official: Dean Watson

Attendance: 8,232 (569 from Leyton Orient)