O’s salvage a late point at Rovers

Bristol Rovers v Leyton Orient – Sky Bet League One – The Memorial Ground – Report

Bristol Rovers 1-1 Leyton Orient

An own goal by Bristol Rovers substitute Tristan Crama deep into stoppage time at the end of the match saw Leyton Orient grab a dramatic late point – the 1-1 scoreline being the East Londoners’ fifth draw in their last seven Sky Bet League One outings.

Richie Wellens made two changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Wigan Athletic at Brisbane Road on Saturday with Rob Hunt and Aaron Drinan replacing Brandon Cooper and Joe Pigott.

In a game of few chances, O’s went behind in the fourth minute of first-half stoppage time when Antony Evans’ free kick into the box worked its way out to Grant Ward on the edge of the penalty box to fire home into the bottom corner of the net past Sol Brynn.

Rovers substitute John Marquis had a wonderful opportunity to wrap the game up ten minutes before the end, only to blaze his effort high over the crossbar.  

With just one of the four minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game left to play, Jordan Brown’s header from Theo Archibald’s free-kick was well saved by Rovers keeper Matt Cox, only to deflect off the unfortunate Crama into the net to gift the O’s a point at the death.

Rovers had one last chance to win the game with just seconds remaining, when after latching on to Brown’s loose header out of defence, Marquis raced through the O’s defence – only to be superbly denied one-on-one by Brynn. 

Leyton Orient return to action on Sunday when they travel to play Vanarama National League leaders Chesterfield at the SMH Group Stadium in the Emirates FA Cup Second Round (2pm). 

Bristol Rovers: Cox, Jack Hunt, Taylor, Wilson, Gordon (Crama 87′), Evans, Ward, Brown (Bogarde 64′) Thomas (Collins 71′) Vale, Martin (Marquis 71′) Subs not used: Grant, Woods, Ward

Leyton Orient: Brynn, Hunt, Turns, Happe, James (Sweeney 37′), Brown, El Mizouni, Drinan (Sanders 47′) Sotiriou (Pigott 75′) Archibald, Forde (Agyei 75′) Subs not used: Cooper, Howes, Pratley

Referee: Will Finnie

Assistant Referees: Declan O’Shea and James Vallance

Fourth Official: Christopher Husband

Attendance: 7,048 (347 from Leyton Orient)