Pair jailed for manslaughter of man in Pitsea

Mick Ferris
Latest posts by Mick Ferris (see all)

Two men have been jailed after admitting their parts in the death of Dwayne Forrester in Pitsea in 2018. 

Jeffrey Goodwin, 26, and 25 year-old Hayden Line were sentenced today at Basildon Crown Court after admitting to manslaughter on Wednesday.

Mr Forrester, who was 21 at the time, was found injured in Little Garth at around 8.40pm on Saturday July 7, 2018.

He was taken to hospital but died there at around 10pm.

A post-mortem examination found he had sustained single stab wound to the heart.

In the hours leading up to the attack CCTV showed both Goodwin and Line in the area while a witness described how Goodwin had threatened Dwayne for selling drugs on his patch.

Officers were also told that, after seeing Dwayne, Goodwin had run across Pitsea Road towards Little Garth shortly before the attack.

And through other investigations, officers were able to place him in the vicinity of the scene at the time of the killing.

Today’s sentencing hearing heard that following the attack, Line had gone to an address in Pitsea and told the people inside he had stabbed Dwayne.

Phone evidence also indicated Dwayne had received a text message from a phone that Line had used to sell drugs, luring him to the scene.

In the months following the murder, Line had confessed to a third party that he had killed Dwayne by stabbing him once and that he and Goodwin were both there when it happened.

Line, of Esmond Close, Rainham, and Goodwin, of Russell Road, Canning Town were both arrested in January 2019 on suspicion of murder and manslaughter and later charged.

They denied the charges but, on the third day of their trial, admitted manslaughter.

They were sentenced today (Friday October 14) to 11 years in prison each.

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Julie Gowen, who led the investigation, said: “Today is about securing justice for Dwayne’s family, who have carried themselves with incredible dignity.

“During our investigation we have taken 400 statements, seized 820 exhibits, and viewed more than 180 hours of CCTV.

“Independent charity Crimestoppers put up a £10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Dwayne’s killers, and the case featured on the BBC One programme Crimewatch Roadshow.”

DCI Gowen added: “Of course, today’s outcome will not bring Dwayne back. His family have been left without a son and a brother and nothing we have secured today will change that. But I hope that at the very least they take some comfort knowing the men responsible for his death are now in prison serving an appropriate sentence.”


Mick Ferris

Editor Email: