Pellegrini frustrated as Hammers suffer back-to-back defeats

Everton 2-0 West Ham United – Reaction

WEST HAM UNITED slipped to their second successive Premier League setback as struggling Everton plundered the points with a dominant performance at Goodison Park.

Bernard profited from Theo Walcott’s industry to hand the Toffees a first-half lead before Gylfi Sigurdsson finished ended the east Londoners resistance with a stoppage-time piledriver to seal the deal for the Merseysiders.

“I’m disappointed because I think we didn’t have a good performance,” Pellegrini told

“We knew before the game that it was a very tough game in a difficult stadium and the position of Everton reflected how much they needed these points,” he reflected. “They ran and they fought for the 95 minutes and they deserved the win.”

The Chilean continued: “If I remember the last game we played here in this stadium, we came in the same position as Everton were before the game, losing four games in a row, so that is something that allowed them to demand more from their players and that’s what they did.

“When you are in the situation that Everton found themselves in, maybe you have more energy. In this same stadium, we came to play them after four defeats and we beat them 3-1. It seemed our team ran double them, but today was different and they ran as if every ball was the last one of their lives and we couldn’t be able to try to play in a different way and find the same level as them.”

West Ham United return to Premier League action on Saturday, October 26 when Sheffield United are the visitors to the London Stadium (3pm)

Everton: Pickford, Sidibe, Keane, Mina (Holgate 90+4’), Digne, André Gomes, Davies, Walcott (Kean 86’), Iwobi (G Sigurdsson 87’), Bernard, Richarlison Subs not used: Baines, Calvert-Lewin, Baningime, Lössl

West Ham United: Jiménez, Fredericks, Diop, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Rice, Felipe Anderson (Yarmolenko 46’), Noble (Ajeti 74’), Lanzini, Fornals (Wilshere 63’), Haller Subs not used: Balbuena, Zabaleta, Snodgrass, Martin

Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: Simon Bennett and Harry Lennard
Fourth official: Darren England

Attendance: 39,263


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]